I am intending to install a new battery although I am not certain that the existing one is the original in this 2007 car but it seems likely as it has a Jaguar label. Hoping to get rid of the gremlins and so does anyone have any thoughts about it?
P R N D disappeared ?
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Just recently noticed that the transmission indicator no longer appears in the dash,Or did I imagine it was ever there? I could not find any mention of it in the cars manual May be no big deal but wondering if it has gone as a result of the battery having been recently disconnected. That was done in respect of the fuel guage problem which still occurs sporadically.
I am intending to install a new battery although I am not certain that the existing one is the original in this 2007 car but it seems likely as it has a Jaguar label. Hoping to get rid of the gremlins and so does anyone have any thoughts about it?
I am intending to install a new battery although I am not certain that the existing one is the original in this 2007 car but it seems likely as it has a Jaguar label. Hoping to get rid of the gremlins and so does anyone have any thoughts about it?
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Mine is 02 plate early model, but certainly no PND on my dash ever.
Batteries. Huge amount on this BB and XK8 BB on the subject. Both cars share similar electrical architecture. One thing is certain. Batteries are consumable items and batteries do not last for ever. Most common S-type gremlins are down to a tired battery. Batteries fail due to a lack of terminal voltage (PD), a lack of capacity or a combination of both. During the winter depressed temperatures find the weakness in a battery. DSC legend on the dash generally tells you the the OBD diagnostic on the car has failed to complete. This is a classic case of a failing battery. Switching off then restarting often stops that irritation due to the alternator having lifted battery terminal voltage. These cars need a very stable battery platform. 12.4 volts or less is unlikely to start the car. Ditch any battery with less than 11.5 volts after three recharge attempts. As far as I`m concerned at that lack of voltage, (Potential difference, PD) it is unlikely ever to be a good battery again.
I buy my batteries for an S-type (019) from batterymegastore.co.uk via ebay. I ordered at 19.00hrs and received the battery at 10.30 next day. A Tewkesbury based company with a big turn over. Beat that for service and price. 3 or 4 year warranty for around £58 inc VAT and delivery. Most batteries around £108 retail.
Golden rule for batteries in the winter. If in doubt, chuck it out!
Mike
Batteries. Huge amount on this BB and XK8 BB on the subject. Both cars share similar electrical architecture. One thing is certain. Batteries are consumable items and batteries do not last for ever. Most common S-type gremlins are down to a tired battery. Batteries fail due to a lack of terminal voltage (PD), a lack of capacity or a combination of both. During the winter depressed temperatures find the weakness in a battery. DSC legend on the dash generally tells you the the OBD diagnostic on the car has failed to complete. This is a classic case of a failing battery. Switching off then restarting often stops that irritation due to the alternator having lifted battery terminal voltage. These cars need a very stable battery platform. 12.4 volts or less is unlikely to start the car. Ditch any battery with less than 11.5 volts after three recharge attempts. As far as I`m concerned at that lack of voltage, (Potential difference, PD) it is unlikely ever to be a good battery again.
I buy my batteries for an S-type (019) from batterymegastore.co.uk via ebay. I ordered at 19.00hrs and received the battery at 10.30 next day. A Tewkesbury based company with a big turn over. Beat that for service and price. 3 or 4 year warranty for around £58 inc VAT and delivery. Most batteries around £108 retail.
Golden rule for batteries in the winter. If in doubt, chuck it out!
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Golden rule for batteries in the winter. If in doubt, chuck it out!
Mike
chuck it out as in take it to you local recycling depot
but agree with all of the above
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Thanks Mike , must have a look at batteyrmegastore .co.uk but anyway new one from where ever. Its time is now. Also considering a solar charging panel to keep it at its best.
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Solar panel is a great idea. I use one myself. Ditto a small Ctec or similar mains powered three or four stage intelligent battery charger.
Batterymegastore are great guys to deal with. Prices and warranty together with very fast delivery next day. Highly recommended. 019 size is what you need for an S-type.
I`ve also changed all interior and some exterior lamps to LED units to help keep winter battery consumption to a minimum. Some excellent lamps to be found on ebay but make sure they are "error free" CANBUS suitable. To date have replaced orange indicator and repeater lamps, front side lights and reverse lamps. Not sure about tail, stop or fog lamps as if over strong in light output, rear dazzle could be an issue. I need to do some more research on the number of emitters per light are suitable to ensure output stays within legal limits. I`ll post more on this as I get a handle on the issue.
Mike
Batterymegastore are great guys to deal with. Prices and warranty together with very fast delivery next day. Highly recommended. 019 size is what you need for an S-type.
I`ve also changed all interior and some exterior lamps to LED units to help keep winter battery consumption to a minimum. Some excellent lamps to be found on ebay but make sure they are "error free" CANBUS suitable. To date have replaced orange indicator and repeater lamps, front side lights and reverse lamps. Not sure about tail, stop or fog lamps as if over strong in light output, rear dazzle could be an issue. I need to do some more research on the number of emitters per light are suitable to ensure output stays within legal limits. I`ll post more on this as I get a handle on the issue.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: P R N D disappeared ?and what happened since
Well here I am now with new battery installed but some gremlins have not given up. After the new battery was installed and at the first turn of the key all seemed good, the fuel guage responded normally without its previous little peculiar spring -like noise. ( hard to describe). Then at the next start it reverted back to its previous behaviour and continues to make wrong readings.
Often it does not move from its reading when ignition is switched off and key removed. So I am really depending on the mileage range remaining readout which seems to be accurate enough.
Everything else is ok except the earlier mentioned PRND issue,that didnt come back to the dash. So the main issue now is this fuel guage and I have visions of an attack on the tank or the guage it self.
The battery is a 100ah 830 CCA brand name of Global who also make the Yuasa brand. Just wondering now, can the alternator be suspect?
Often it does not move from its reading when ignition is switched off and key removed. So I am really depending on the mileage range remaining readout which seems to be accurate enough.
Everything else is ok except the earlier mentioned PRND issue,that didnt come back to the dash. So the main issue now is this fuel guage and I have visions of an attack on the tank or the guage it self.
The battery is a 100ah 830 CCA brand name of Global who also make the Yuasa brand. Just wondering now, can the alternator be suspect?
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Although its a new Battery and they claim to be fully charged, mostly they are not 100% fully charged, try giving it an overnight charge. (Unless you have already done this)
Doug.
Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator
S Type Forum Moderator
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Guages and senders can get issues although this is the fist instance that I`ve come across in nearly ten years of an S-type guage playing up.
Most alternators unless modified to an intelligent charging upgrade will usually only be able to obtain about 75% of a battery`s true rated capacity. Use of a Ctec, Sterling, Victron or Mastervolt type intelligent charger might just achieve 95% if used on a new battery in prime condition. As the battery ages that capacity gradually drops down as sulphation occurs. Step mode chargers as above certainly help keep a battery up to snuff. I have a couple of batteries here on the boat looked after by a three channel (three charging outlets) which are nine years old and still going strong.
Mike K
Most alternators unless modified to an intelligent charging upgrade will usually only be able to obtain about 75% of a battery`s true rated capacity. Use of a Ctec, Sterling, Victron or Mastervolt type intelligent charger might just achieve 95% if used on a new battery in prime condition. As the battery ages that capacity gradually drops down as sulphation occurs. Step mode chargers as above certainly help keep a battery up to snuff. I have a couple of batteries here on the boat looked after by a three channel (three charging outlets) which are nine years old and still going strong.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: P R N D disappeared ?
Our car is MY2000 and we don't get PRND showing on the dashboard?
Brian
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: P R N D disappeared ? latest update
Thanks Doug, Mike and Martec,
Your thoughts are correct, it now seems that I should have given it a bit more patience. I decided to disconnect the battery and left it for an hour. On reconnection the gremlin departed and fuel guage is functioning normal since with no sound from it.
Of course i had to reset the usual other things like radio, clock and climate control etc. P,R,N or D does not show in the dash so maybe it was my previous BMW where that was.
I will now put the battery on a tricklecharge as Doug suggested and perhaps purchase one of those solar chargers. Its not the cars fault that it doesnt get out much.
Thomas (Doubting ! )
Your thoughts are correct, it now seems that I should have given it a bit more patience. I decided to disconnect the battery and left it for an hour. On reconnection the gremlin departed and fuel guage is functioning normal since with no sound from it.
Of course i had to reset the usual other things like radio, clock and climate control etc. P,R,N or D does not show in the dash so maybe it was my previous BMW where that was.
Thomas (Doubting ! )
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

