S-Type electric woes

Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent
Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby J44EAG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Good reliable battery terminal voltage must be evident to get shot of spurious messages.

That established, you are likely to have gained a stable platform again. At that point the traction messages seem to disappear.

In my experience traction messages point towards a duff or dying battery or some other charge fault.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

stephenaw1
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby stephenaw1 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Spoke too soon. Still losing speedo, mileometer, power steering etc especially when turning right. However, I have found that sometimes when I flash the headlights, things start working again, but not always. Anyhow garage tested the wheel speed sensors and found no problems except that the traction control fault message comes on. Sometimes it alternates between traction control on, and off. Auto elec guy wants the front bumper off to check the wiring so its back to the garage. I will ask him to check under the air filter box too. It would be good to get it sorted. Broken wires, faulty relay or duff battery or maybe any combination of these, who knows. Apart from these little issues it is still a great car.

stephenaw1
Posts:9
Joined:Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby stephenaw1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm

After a year or so of having intermittent ABS and Traction control fault warning lights and the usual loss of speedo, boot not opening and doors not locking I decided enough was enough and put my S type in part exchange for a BMW 325i. It is a nice car but not a jag. I spent the weekend regretting trading in the Jag but not regretting buying the BMW. So when the garage phoned to say I had left a cassette in the Jag and asked if I wanted it back, I enquired if the Jag had been sold and had they identified the faults. I was quite taken back to be told the faults were due to a faulty ABS module and this was now changed and all of the faults described had been rectified. I had to go and have a look for myself and have a test drive. All the faults were gone and the car drove well. So well in fact that I bought it back again. My wife is very understanding.

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby J44EAG » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:58 pm

An astonishing conclusion!

Quite a story and perhaps one for the magazine? Perhaps you could write it up and send the copy direct to Nigel?

I have to admit I sold J44 some years back to a friend. I missed the car beyond words. A couple of months later my friend said he was off to the States and would sell the car on ebay. That did it for me. I bought the car back again for £5 more than I sold it and realise that it should never have been sold in the first place. Five years on, I still have it.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

User avatar
Montana5
Posts:572
Joined:Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 pm
Location:Glasgow

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby Montana5 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:37 am

A strange, unusual but nevertheless, a concluding outcome.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator

andypryce

Member
Posts:1276
Joined:Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 am
Location:Liverpool

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby andypryce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:47 pm

Why oh why have Jaguar never got their electrical glitches sorted? All the ones I have owned have had electrical issues, and even Rob's XJR has given me electrical problems.

It's very frustrating.... :x
Andy

XF Sportbrake 2020 / XK8 1998

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: S-Type electric woes

Postby J44EAG » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 am

Lack of means to ensure decent build quality until recently?

I understand that Jaguar build about one tenth of the number of cars that BMW produce. Perhaps they have more funds to investing development. One hopes of course that with Jaguar ownership now with Tata, electrical quality might improve.....

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests