Gear change issues
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 pm
Bit of a story to this one I'm afraid but any input or assistance would be appreciated. I have a 2003 STR that has done 49k miles. I can live with the issue but I'd also like to fix it if I can as I love the car and want to keep it long term.
The car has always been very 'snatchy' when pulling away with even a light throttle spinning the wheels. I've got used to it and can ease away without any problem if I'm careful. Anyone new driving it always wheelspins it, including the guy at the Jag Dealer and the local indie who services it - both called it 'lively! Could this be an extreme 'lurch'? Possile though when I drive gently there is no 'jump' at all.
It also has the fluctuating revs (about 150) issue when the engine is warming up. This always disappears after a few minutes, is less obvious when in Sport mode and occasionally doesn't do it at all. There was a recent article on this in the Magazine and it said it was software or the torque converter.
Next, the gear change is generally smooth except for the 1-2 change which always gives a small jolt. Nothing major but obvious and completely different to the other changes, up or down.
Lastly, I think there have been a couple of occasions over the last month or so where there seemed to be an increase in revs without the instant increase in speed, a bit like a rubber band effect. However, this disappeared quickly leaving me wondering whether I imagined it.
To complete the picture, on reading Mike's advice I had the gearbox oil changed in June last year by a specialist in Portsmouth and they also reflashed the TCM with the latest software. Apparently the oil was in good condition with no debris, discoloration or water. Whilst I'm glad I had it done it didn't make any noticeable difference to the gearchange or any of the other issues above.
So, is there an obvious answer or cure? I think all the issues above are connected but I could be wrong. After reading numerous posts on forums, etc. I'm leaning towards it being the torque converter on it's way out. It could also just be a software issue. I'm happy to spend money putting it right but I can live with it and don't want to spend lots of money guessing.
If you got this far and have any ideas I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
Many thanks
Mark
The car has always been very 'snatchy' when pulling away with even a light throttle spinning the wheels. I've got used to it and can ease away without any problem if I'm careful. Anyone new driving it always wheelspins it, including the guy at the Jag Dealer and the local indie who services it - both called it 'lively! Could this be an extreme 'lurch'? Possile though when I drive gently there is no 'jump' at all.
It also has the fluctuating revs (about 150) issue when the engine is warming up. This always disappears after a few minutes, is less obvious when in Sport mode and occasionally doesn't do it at all. There was a recent article on this in the Magazine and it said it was software or the torque converter.
Next, the gear change is generally smooth except for the 1-2 change which always gives a small jolt. Nothing major but obvious and completely different to the other changes, up or down.
Lastly, I think there have been a couple of occasions over the last month or so where there seemed to be an increase in revs without the instant increase in speed, a bit like a rubber band effect. However, this disappeared quickly leaving me wondering whether I imagined it.
To complete the picture, on reading Mike's advice I had the gearbox oil changed in June last year by a specialist in Portsmouth and they also reflashed the TCM with the latest software. Apparently the oil was in good condition with no debris, discoloration or water. Whilst I'm glad I had it done it didn't make any noticeable difference to the gearchange or any of the other issues above.
So, is there an obvious answer or cure? I think all the issues above are connected but I could be wrong. After reading numerous posts on forums, etc. I'm leaning towards it being the torque converter on it's way out. It could also just be a software issue. I'm happy to spend money putting it right but I can live with it and don't want to spend lots of money guessing.
If you got this far and have any ideas I'd really appreciate hearing from you.
Many thanks
Mark