Page 1 of 2

Sport Mode

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:30 pm
by jeff1954
I have read on another Jag forum site that some people leave the gearbox in sport mode all the time. Will this have a detrimental effect on the gearbox.

Jeff

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:33 pm
by Brakebuster
No

do it ,

much better and the power is always there when you want it , as it really just ups the revs between shifts so you get more ' umph ' and unless you kickdown harshly , the fuel consumption wont be any different

BB 8)

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 pm
by jeff1954
Thanks BB for the prompt reply.

Jeff

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:33 pm
by andypryce
Agreed, I kept mine in sport mode all the time.

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:26 pm
by J44EAG
However, 5th gear will not engage until "economy" is selected. Fuel economy will be affected.

Mike

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:36 am
by jeff1954
Thanks all for the replys.
On the economy front, and this is why I asked the question. According to what I have read elsewhere the 2.7 Diesel seems to achieve better MPG around town and on B roads ect on light throttle openings in sport mode.
Obviously on motorways and the like I would revert back to economy mode.

Jeff.

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm
by andypryce
I must admit my understanding of the sport button was that it simply delayed changes, as stated before. As far as I know, and I might have to bow to Mike's superior knowledge here, when cruising on motorway it will still engage 5th, even in sport mode.

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm
by Montana5
From a previous post in the general section...

Re: Sport button
I believe the lock down to fifth gear stays put until the box senses a more cruise like speed from the driver, then it will change back up to sixth. I tend to leave the 'S' button on most of the time, unless I'm on a Motorway, or leading other JEC drivers on a Run or to a Show...zzzzz :wink:

Copied this from another forum, it was from the X350 Training Guide, but don't see why it should be any different from the S Type.

The sports mode strategy moves the transmission shift characteristics so that upshifts occur at higher engine speeds and downshifts at lower pedal angles.

In Sports mode, throttle pedal usage and cornering behaviour are monitored to assess driving style and road conditions. When an enthusiastic driving style or a demanding road is detected, sixth gear is inhibited and the lower gears are made slightly more accessible in order to prevent unwanted hunting between gears.

Conversely, when cruising conditions are detected, 6th gear is once again made available to maximise driving refinement and economy.

Under conditions of heavy braking, the transmission will perform one or more downshifts to improve response to a subsequent throttle pedal application.

Similarly if the throttle pedal is released rapidly (Fast off) following hard acceleration, one or more upshifts are inhibited to increase engine braking and also improve subsequent response.

To complement these features, when a corner is detected transmission upshifts are inhibited. This inhibition is maintained for a short distance after the corner allowing the driver to achieve a smooth balance without unwanted shifting mid-corner.


Its all clever stuff.


Doug.

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:38 pm
by andypryce
Of course, forgot there is 6 gears not 5......

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:00 pm
by J44EAG
Tried this tonight on my 5 speed.

+50mph, the sport button disengaged 5th. Back to economy mode, and back in to 5th again.

Might be different with the 6 speed.

Mike

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am
by redcat
I have the proper sport mode box on my 2.7d - 6-speed manual! :wink:

Redcat

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:06 pm
by msdsx
Leave my STR in Sport mode all the time and it uses 6th gear when travelling at a steady speed on the M'way. No noticeable difference with fuel consumption that I can tell and I prefer the change pattern...

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am
by latebreaker
I haven't engaged sport mode on mine...after reading Doug's post I might engage it and give it a try.

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:33 pm
by latebreaker
Holy Moly, I've just been driving with Sport mode engaged and....I like it! A much aggressive getaway off the line, different animal....similar to dynamic mode in the XF.

Does anyone know if the damping changes in Sport Mode?

Re: Sport Mode

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 pm
by J44EAG
I believe it does. Perhaps Doug can enlighten?

Mike