Does anybody have, or can point me to the best place to buy a new / reconditioned complete Prop shaft for a 2003 ('53 plate pre-facelift) S-Type 2.5 V6 auto?
I don't want to randomly buy one from a breaker, unless it is from a trusted source. I would prefer reconditioned if affordable!
Thanks in advance.
Les.
New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
Les, the part number would appear to be XR80748. I suspect it will be a very rare find as a complete new part. My research shows the cost to be in the region of 1206 Euro!
You might try your local Main Dealer or perhaps Steve at XJK in Stoke on Trent. Steve is very good at weeding out difficult to source parts.
I have to ask why you need a recon or new propshaft? Do you have an issue with the unit on the car?
There are two Jurid rubber dough-nut couplings at either end of this two piece unit. Those couplings do break up badly after time, age and mileage occurs. They are fairly easily and cheaply replaced. You should not find sourcing them difficult.
The centre prop bearing mount is not available from the normal Jaguar supply chain. However, they are available on the after-market. The price is £40-£50. You will find them on ebay and on other sites.
Provided your prop is not damaged physically, you should be able to change couplings and the centre bearing and get the prop back to as new condition.
As regards a company dealing with prop reconditioning, try searching locally and see what you can find.
Mike K
You might try your local Main Dealer or perhaps Steve at XJK in Stoke on Trent. Steve is very good at weeding out difficult to source parts.
I have to ask why you need a recon or new propshaft? Do you have an issue with the unit on the car?
There are two Jurid rubber dough-nut couplings at either end of this two piece unit. Those couplings do break up badly after time, age and mileage occurs. They are fairly easily and cheaply replaced. You should not find sourcing them difficult.
The centre prop bearing mount is not available from the normal Jaguar supply chain. However, they are available on the after-market. The price is £40-£50. You will find them on ebay and on other sites.
Provided your prop is not damaged physically, you should be able to change couplings and the centre bearing and get the prop back to as new condition.
As regards a company dealing with prop reconditioning, try searching locally and see what you can find.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
I'm intrigued, why do you believe you need a complete new pro shaft ?
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
Thank you both for you replies, helpful as always.
I recently had a new auto transmission fitted and the company told me the propshaft bearing was badly worn. Although it was not part of their remit, they kindly sourced and replaced the bearing with an aftermarket one. Since then I am experiencing some low frequency rumble and vibration when I take my foot off the accelerator at speeds between 50 and 70mph. Put the power back on and it goes away. I have also tried taking it up to 80/90 mph and the rumble and vibration is noticeable at all times, both under power and off. It isn't very loud, but it shouldn't be there.
I took the car back to the people who fitted the gearbox and bearing and they test drove it. The noise is definitely coming from under or behind the driving position, which rules out a gearbox problem. Their diagnosis was that either the aftermarket bearing isn't right, or the propshaft may have been damaged by the old bearing which was very badly worn. As they did not charge me for replacing the bearing (apart from the cost of the part itself) and propshafts are not their business, I agreed to get the problem looked at by someone local to me.
Rather than give it to a garage for diagnosis, I decided to source a reconditioned prop and just have it fitted and see if it cures the problem. Unless you can offer another suggestion of what the problem may be?
I think a new prop is prohibitively expensive, so I may have to go for a second hand unit if I can find a good breaker's yard with one in stock.
Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Les.
I recently had a new auto transmission fitted and the company told me the propshaft bearing was badly worn. Although it was not part of their remit, they kindly sourced and replaced the bearing with an aftermarket one. Since then I am experiencing some low frequency rumble and vibration when I take my foot off the accelerator at speeds between 50 and 70mph. Put the power back on and it goes away. I have also tried taking it up to 80/90 mph and the rumble and vibration is noticeable at all times, both under power and off. It isn't very loud, but it shouldn't be there.
I took the car back to the people who fitted the gearbox and bearing and they test drove it. The noise is definitely coming from under or behind the driving position, which rules out a gearbox problem. Their diagnosis was that either the aftermarket bearing isn't right, or the propshaft may have been damaged by the old bearing which was very badly worn. As they did not charge me for replacing the bearing (apart from the cost of the part itself) and propshafts are not their business, I agreed to get the problem looked at by someone local to me.
Rather than give it to a garage for diagnosis, I decided to source a reconditioned prop and just have it fitted and see if it cures the problem. Unless you can offer another suggestion of what the problem may be?
I think a new prop is prohibitively expensive, so I may have to go for a second hand unit if I can find a good breaker's yard with one in stock.
Any recommendations?
Thanks again,
Les.
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
Les,
Give Eurojag or Autoreserve a call. They both have quality second hand parts.
Break up of the Jurid coupling is not uncommon. Indeed I had to replace it on my S-type V8. The coupling falls to bits particularly at the front end. When very badly worn, knocking and banging is quite pronounced. See this link.viewtopic.php?f=194&t=7313
Investigate coupling condition before buying a replacement prop.
If a prop shaft is split to allow bearing replacement it is imperative that the yokes at both ends are correctly aligned. There are three holes in each yoke, each at 120 spacings. Alignment between the two yokes at either end must be so that when viewed from one end to the other, that bolt holes in the yokes are at 60 degree intervals. It could be that when your prop was rebuilt that one or more splines at the centre bearing coupling, may not be fitted to ensure that 6x60=360degree spacing was maintained. Worth a look.
The 1206 Euro price for a new unit was for a complete new prop found whilst having a quick Google. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Eurojag or Autoreserve should be able to find you a good replacement for a more acceptable price.
Mike
Give Eurojag or Autoreserve a call. They both have quality second hand parts.
Break up of the Jurid coupling is not uncommon. Indeed I had to replace it on my S-type V8. The coupling falls to bits particularly at the front end. When very badly worn, knocking and banging is quite pronounced. See this link.viewtopic.php?f=194&t=7313
Investigate coupling condition before buying a replacement prop.
If a prop shaft is split to allow bearing replacement it is imperative that the yokes at both ends are correctly aligned. There are three holes in each yoke, each at 120 spacings. Alignment between the two yokes at either end must be so that when viewed from one end to the other, that bolt holes in the yokes are at 60 degree intervals. It could be that when your prop was rebuilt that one or more splines at the centre bearing coupling, may not be fitted to ensure that 6x60=360degree spacing was maintained. Worth a look.
The 1206 Euro price for a new unit was for a complete new prop found whilst having a quick Google. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Eurojag or Autoreserve should be able to find you a good replacement for a more acceptable price.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
Thanks Mike,
From what you say it sounds as though the people who fitted the bearing may not have aligned things correctly when putting it back together. This makes sense to me as this vibration was not evident before they fitted the new bearing. Perhaps then it would be wise to take the car to a specialist who can determine the cause of the problem rather than replacing the prop unnecessarily, especially one that already has a brand new bearing.
By the way, I went to the heavy horse and tractor show in Surrey at which the JEC had a stand on Sunday. A lovely friendly bunch of people. Some nice cars to look at as well
Thanks again.
From what you say it sounds as though the people who fitted the bearing may not have aligned things correctly when putting it back together. This makes sense to me as this vibration was not evident before they fitted the new bearing. Perhaps then it would be wise to take the car to a specialist who can determine the cause of the problem rather than replacing the prop unnecessarily, especially one that already has a brand new bearing.
By the way, I went to the heavy horse and tractor show in Surrey at which the JEC had a stand on Sunday. A lovely friendly bunch of people. Some nice cars to look at as well
Thanks again.
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
The position of the engine, centre propshaft mount and the rear subframe are set up on the track at Jaguar very accurately (so we are told) using a special measurung arrangement. Nodoubt this is for a reason, so the question is how well was the engine and gearbox position set up and in particular the centre propshaft mounting??
Brian
Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated
Re: New / recon complete Propshaft for S-Type 2.5 V6 auto
A very good question Brian and one to which the answer may find the solution. I think I need a specialist to take a look. It may just be a matter of adjustment.
Thank you, Les.
Thank you, Les.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

