Whine in Auto Gearbox
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
-
grumpyjohn

- Posts:19
- Joined:Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 am
Hi Guys ,Here's one I haven't seen mentioned. 2002 2.5 petrol S type. 120,000 miles, 6 speed auto. On acquisition, on general advice, I had oil/filter changed by a reputable specialist, S & P autos. Since then it has developed a noise not previously there. When pulling steadily from 1750 to 2000: revs, in ANY gear there is a whine which either disappears or is lost in general noise at higher revs. This is regardless of gear selected or road speed, so appears to be on the input side. The whine is not loud, but wasn't there before. Turning up the stereo is one answer! but I am a bit of a fuss pot with my pride and joy! No gearbox fault light is displayed. Any suggestions?
Re: Whine in Auto Gearbox
Unless others here know the precise answer, I would suggest a trip back to the gearbox specialists for assessment. I believe Jaguar have produced an additive for transmissions and power steering when whine is an issue.
During the summer I sometimes get steering whine after a long, hot trip and have considered adding some additive to try to reduce the noise from that source. Not yet got around to buying some yet.
Mike
During the summer I sometimes get steering whine after a long, hot trip and have considered adding some additive to try to reduce the noise from that source. Not yet got around to buying some yet.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
grumpyjohn

- Posts:19
- Joined:Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 am
Re: Whine in Auto Gearbox
Hi thanks for that. I'll investigate the gearbox additive. Re the steering, I have used the additive with mixed results. For the most part the noise has disappeared but does return from time to time. I suspect that weather conditions have an effect, by I can't narrow it down.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
