Page 1 of 1
2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:16 pm
by CliveC
I have a 2002 2.5 Sport which at 99,700 miles has not had the spark plugs changed. So, this is my next job and would value some guidance as I understand that the plugs can break when trying to extract.
Should I soak them in WD40 or similar to help extraction? Any help would be much appreciated.
Also what plugs are recommended, I thought of Denso Iridium?
CliveC
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:38 am
by J44EAG
Soaking with a penitrator can only but relieve the possibility of breakage, Clive.
Unless rampant corrosion is evident externally, you probably won"t have an issue with extraction. Such issues have not been a known problem to us in the past.
Suggest you replace the two small and cheap rubber air breather elbows when you change the plugs. Parts only available from a Main Dealer. These elbows crush and split so a must do item whilst the inlet manifold is off. Unwise to miss the opportunity.
Use the Vin number to select the correct plugs for your car. Your supplier will be able to advise.
Hope that helps.
Mike
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:44 pm
by CliveC
Thanks Mike, will let you know how I get on but it will be a little while before I get to it.
Clive
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 pm
by oldtimer
Hi Mike,
Taking the plugs out is one thing, what is the torque loading for fitting the new ones?
I understand that plugs no longer have copper washers just a conical face and hole to match, what lube do you suggest?
P
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:32 pm
by J44EAG
There seems to be quite a torque spread suggested on various sites. I can`t seem to get to the technical data pdf I used to access but one good looking site I visited suggests 11Lbs/ft.
On a spark plug tube box there is usually a small visual diagram. I recall on the last set I installed that the taper seat plug is screwed down finger tight, then tightened one eighth of 360 degrees. These plugs only need to be gently tightened into contact to provide a gas tight seal. They do not need to be graunched down using a three foot long wrench and a lump of old scaffolding pipe!!
A smear of anti-seize grease such as Copper Slip on the plug thread is good practice between dissimilar metals. That will help prevent galvanic action and seizure through corrosion at a later date.
Mike
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 pm
by oldtimer
What No scaffolding bar - that's a shame
Thanks
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 am
by jeff1954
Do you have to remove the inlet manifold to change the plugs?
Jeff
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 pm
by Gary220262
Dont worry about spark plugs Jeff, on your diesel you just have to rake out the dead ash and put some more coal on !

. Gary
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:17 pm
by J44EAG
Yes, Jeff. The inlet manifold has to come off. Don`t forget top change the breather elbows at the same time.
Mike
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 pm
by jeff1954
Went to Blackpool Zoo the other weekend doing eighty most of the time and got 43.4 to the shovel full.
Jeff
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:11 pm
by Gary220262
Jeff, 43.4 compared to my average of 21.2 ! might have to stop taking the pi'' and have a look at one these smokey things ! do they come with shovel provided ?. Gary
Re: 2.5 Spark Plug Change
Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm
by Martec
Just a small point on the plug change, when were the coils last replaced?
When I bought our 3 ltr I noticed a slight misfire at low revs and a boot full of throttle, particularly noticeable when going slowly up our steep entry to one of the garages. New plugs and coils cleared it.
Shame to take the manifold off twice.
Brian