I have a 2005 2.7D Diesel S-type auto at 142K miles. It is used on a 30 minute commute each way, 5 days a week. I inherited the car from my father at 108K miles and since 120K, I have been getting the engine serviced every 10K miles. About 5k miles ago I had the gearbox tray and fluids replaced. I would be really grateful if anyone has an idea of how to source and solve the following two problems:
The first problem is a recent loud (!) grinding metallic noise that happens mostly once the car has warmed up, under braking and when the car is in neutral. It seems to be coming from the full length of the u/s of the car. I have topped the oil up- it was quite low- it has definitely made the engine smoother whilst driving but the metallic noise persists.
The second issue is an intermittent problem. The symptoms are a lack of power on acceleration with lots of black smoke emitting from the exhausts and then plenty of power in a lump. It can vanish for days and can sometimes be cleared if you restart the car and generally will clear after the car has reached temperature. I have been told that the issue may be due to the following: the throttle sleeve, the EGR valve and the turbo all causing a fuel mixture problem. Very infrequently (probably 3 times in over a year of this fault happening) 'DCS not available' flashes up on the dashboard.
The following OBD codes have been read by a ‘Carsoft scanner’:
P0405 EGR Sensor A Circuit Low,
P004B Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control “B” Circuit Range/Performance,
P140A Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor C - circuit low,
P010F MAF Sensor A/B Correlation,
P0046 Turbo/Supercharger Boost Control A Circuit Range Performance,
P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition,
P0275 Cylinder 5 Contribution/Balance,
P0266 Cylinder 2 Contribution/Balance,
P0181 Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance,
and U32bd-?
2.7 DIesel S-Type metallic grinding noises when stationary and lack of power when not
Moderators:GJS-typeR, Montana5
-
William.Jaguar
- Posts:2
- Joined:Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am
Re: 2.7 DIesel S-Type metallic grinding noises when stationary and lack of power when not
Hi Maybe an engine re-flash for the second problem but the grinding noise etc could be a engine pulley problem, have you had the cam belts changed, if so maybe something has come loose. If I were you I'd e take the car car to an indipendant Jag specialist and see what they come up with. Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Jeff
Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
Re: 2.7 DIesel S-Type metallic grinding noises when stationary and lack of power when not
Wow, I thought my car was bad enough but this takes the biscuit. I had a grinding noise shortly after having the water pump changed, should have had that done when the cam belt was changed at 85,000 miles,(shredding according to the Main Dealer at the time) like an idiot I didn't have the pump done or the idler\tensioning pulley replaced as well at the same time, I got no advice from the Main Dealer. It was the idler pulley. As far as the rest of the engine is concerned it looks like a combination of various faults. Like Jeff I think the EGR valves may be contributing to the mis-fueling, mine were changed at 85,600 miles during the period when the first useless Main Dealer was trying to find a non-existent engine misfire (it was the gearbox, found by a different Main Dealer recommended by JLR). Like Jeff an Independent Jag Specialist with a decent code reader and someone who is good at interpretation, in the long run, would be the cheapest option. Pray it's not a Turbo! probably 4/5 times the value of the car!.
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D Scrapped
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
Re: 2.7 DIesel S-Type metallic grinding noises when stationary and lack of power when not
Another thought I had was the Swirl Port valves if the diaphragms in them are split that can cause power loss and excessive smoke when under medium to hard acceleration. There is a way to test them by sucking on the vacuum pipe that goes into them to see if there is any or no restriction. The procedure is explained on the forum somewhere.
Jeff.
Jeff.
S Type 2.7d SE Auto 2004 Now sold but still a lover of older Jags.
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
Previous Jaguars.
1967 3.8 S Type.
Series 1 XJ 4.2
Series 2 XJ 4.2
-
William.Jaguar
- Posts:2
- Joined:Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am
Re: 2.7 DIesel S-Type metallic grinding noises when stationary and lack of power when not
Thank you very much for your replies,
The first problem has been solved by the mechanics shortly after getting the car up on the ramps - a split exhaust.
The engine issue has not been investigated as yet, following a raft of other issues uncovered (brakes, suspension amongst other things). I will pass on your comments to the mechanics and report back when I know more.
Best wishes,
William
The first problem has been solved by the mechanics shortly after getting the car up on the ramps - a split exhaust.
The engine issue has not been investigated as yet, following a raft of other issues uncovered (brakes, suspension amongst other things). I will pass on your comments to the mechanics and report back when I know more.
Best wishes,
William
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
