Page 1 of 1

2+2 conversion to roadster

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm
by RobL
Hoping for some help guys. Have a 1967 2+2 and in the V5C it is described as Model type 2+2 E type, Body
type Coupe. The car was completely stripped down so as part of the restoration I am looking to convert
the car to a roadster and wonder whether anyone has experience of this (helpful, practical comments very
welcome) and in particular advice about approaching the DVLA to get the V5C changed in due course. Before
the very helpful local DVLA offices were closed down I could have discussed the situation informally with
them... Anyway, thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Regards and thanks again.
RobL

Re: 2+2 conversion to roadster

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:07 pm
by Kember
Rob,

I, too, have a 1967 2+2 under restoration.

If you want an exactly dimensioned open car, I'm afraid that what you propose will be tricky to achieve, if not impossible:

i. the 2+2 is several inches longer than the convertible and also taller to the top of the windscreen;
ii. as a result, the rake of windscreen is different on the 2+2;
iii. the doors are longer; and
iv. IIRC all panels behind the front bulkhead are different.

All of these points can be dealt with ,but it would probably be cheaper to start with a convertible in the first place.

Best

Peter

1967 E Type Series 1 2+2
1995 XJR6

PS, to all readers, I'm a relatively new member and will introduce myself in a separate post.

Re: 2+2 conversion to roadster

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:56 pm
by stuarthardy
I'm dredging the memory banks here but I seem to remember reading an article a few years ago about chopping a 2+2 to make a convertible. I'm pretty sure it was in the club magazine. I think it was a professional conversion that someone threw a lot of money at and the end result was a beautiful job. I can't remember whether the rear seats were retained or not. I don't even remember whether it had a hood.

It might be worth trying to track this article down although I think it will take a lot of effort and cost as much to do as buying a roadster. Personally, I'd keep it as a 2+2 but it's your car, time and money to do with as you please.

It would be an interesting project though.....