Page 1 of 1

Rear spring compressor

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:47 pm
by PhilBell
Which make and model of spring compressor do you use to change your rear springs/dampers?

My Sykes Pickavant compressors are designed for coil springs with a much larger diameter so a clearly not up to the job.

Phil

Re: Rear spring compressor

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 pm
by stuarthardy
Hi Phil

I made my own spring compressors or, more accurately, had somebody make some for me to my drawings. Like you, I found the springs too small to use the general purpose type of compressor.

In fact, if I recall correctly, I used the Sykes compressors to remove the springs from the standard dampers but when I rebuilt the back end the Gaz dampers were a much bigger diameter and I couldn't get the the springs over the shocks with the compressors in place.

I would show you a picture of what I had made but I fear being jumped on by the evangelists citing certain death for anybody who dares to use anything other than the authorised tool.

Good Luck

Re: Rear spring compressor

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:31 pm
by PhilBell
Thanks for lending me your compressors Stuart

They were easy to use and gripped the springs firmly.

I'm looking forwards to trying out the car with its new Koni Classic dampers and rear spring spacers (to restore the factory ride height) but it will be another couple of weeks before I get my rebuilt diff back.

While it's all apart I replaced the suspect inner UJs but despite only pushing in the new bearing races just enough for the circlips to engage they seem a bit tight. The Jaguar factory manual advice of giving them a tap in the outward direction to free them up makes no difference.

Phil

Re: Rear spring compressor

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm
by stuarthardy
Hi Phil

I'm glad you got on well with the compressors. As I said, I had a bit of a fiddle with them because of the diameter of the Gaz dampers I fitted. There wasn't much clearance between the springs and dampers.

Best you don't tell anyone about them though, or we'll be castigated for using non-approved tools. :wink:

I never really had any problems with the UJ's other than to ensure there wasn't any paint in the yokes before assembling them. The trick was ensuring that the rollers stayed in placed while you were fitting them. Hopefully yours will free up with a bit of use. Is it possible to exercise them a little or are they too stiff to move by hand?

Good luck with the diff.

Regards
Stuart