Gearbox tail shaft housing

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

User avatar
colingray

Member
Posts:30
Joined:Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 am
Gearbox tail shaft housing

Postby colingray » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I am looking for a series 3 manual gearbox tail shaft housing, mine looks to have been welded in it former life and leaks oil all over the exhaust.
I had been hoping it was the rear oil seal and also replaced the speedo drive seal as an added precaution.
Hopefully someone who has done a five speed conversion will be able to help?
Thanks
Colin Gray
1973 signal red series 3 2+2 E type

User avatar
colingray

Member
Posts:30
Joined:Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 am

Re: Gearbox tail shaft housing

Postby colingray » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:28 pm

I have this all sorted now and had it repaired by removing the tail shaft housing while the gearbox was in place by following the procedure elsewhere on this forum (The E type forum). I took the housing and had the seal opening welded as the previous welder had made such a terrible job of it that the oil was leaking past the outer edge of the seal. It is all back in and after approximately 50 mile seems to be fine. :D
1973 signal red series 3 2+2 E type

PPV

Member
Posts:639
Joined:Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 pm
Location:Nantwich

Re: Gearbox tail shaft housing

Postby PPV » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am

That is good news. Did you use a specialist welder you would recommend?
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S

User avatar
colingray

Member
Posts:30
Joined:Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:13 am

Re: Gearbox tail shaft housing

Postby colingray » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi, I used a mate who I have know for years, he tunes racing MZ motorcycles and does lots of aluminium welding on them. I was hoping for a casing but thought I would ask him if he would have a go at it which, he did for me and made a cracking job. He only wanted a drink £20 :roll: However I dropped him £60 as he was well worth it. I am sure there are some decent aluminium welders around the UK I just got lucky having a friend that does it.
1973 signal red series 3 2+2 E type


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest