Page 1 of 1

EType S2 2+2 Auto to Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 pm
by dlatimer
Guys

Ive had a manual box stored for years, Its a 4speed manual with overdrive which I think come from an XJ6 in a servicable condition. The gearbox codes are as follows
SG723 9/1 61481
KPN 2006
24 8 66
DA 20594
C20019

Can anyone provide further info on this box and maybe comment on suitability for use in the EType.
My car is an American import which I think has a different diff to the UK spec?
I have i few things im not sure about like will the prop need modifying,
Will the lever be in the correct place?
Do i need to change the brake pedal or can i use exisiting
What do I use for rear transmission mounting?
Whats needed to make reverse lamp work
Any other considerations i need to take in.

As it stands I only have the gearbox so I will need the other required parts if anyone has them

Gear lever with overdrive
4.2 Bell housing
Clutch fork and pin
Clutch pedal and pad
Brake pedal and pad
Pipe brakets

Cheers guys

Re: EType S2 2+2 Auto to Manual Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:03 pm
by stuarthardy
I'm not sure that this conversion is possible. I've never heard of anybody doing it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I have no idea where the gear lever will end up and whether it would be compatible with the centre console trim.

To your list of parts required you will need to add
Flywheel and ring gear for manual.
Starter motor to suit.
Clutch assembly.
Manual pedal box.
Clutch master and slave cylinders with pipework.
Modified and rebalanced prop shaft.

Then there are questions about speedometer drive and calibration etc.

It's a big job.

How about converting to a more modern auto box?

Regards

Re: EType S2 2+2 Auto to Manual Conversion

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:32 pm
by piman
Hello David,

I don't think that there is room for the overdrive section, Jaguar's didn't offer an overdrive on the E. Type, which may also mean that the axle ratio would be too high, or is the automatic ratio different to the manual ratio? (Strictly speaking that would be too low as a high geared car has a low ratio, numerically that is)

Alec

Re: EType S2 2+2 Auto to Manual Conversion

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm
by iani
I realise that this is an old thread, but just in case anyone reads it looking for an answer: It is perfectly possible to fit either an XJ6 OD gearbox or an S Type OD gearbox into a 2+2 shell, you will just need to relieve the tunnel slightly. Note that you can't install the OD box from a Mk2 due to it having a longer tail assembly.

Ian