Hi - I had a strange experience the other day which I’m really puzzled about and wondered if anyone can help explain it. My car is a 1966 series 1 2+2, auto. I turned into a road and realised I’d turned one too early, so stopped and then went to go forward to turn in a driveway.
When I put my foot back on the accelerator, the engine revs surged and the car leaped forward. This all happened so fast that I’m not completely sure of what I did - I’m pretty sure I stamped on the brake pedal but I definitely instinctively moved the gear selector from drive to neutral - at which point the revs died and everything returned to normal.
I’ve checked the throttle linkage which seems fine - but it really did seem that going to neutral stopped the problem, not anything to do with the throttle pedal. How could that be?!
The car has behaved perfectly normally ever since, though I’m a bit wary!
I wouldn’t be at all surprised if no one has a clue, but with the wealth of experience in the club I thought it was worth a try!
Cheers, Simon.
Engine revs surge but auto gearbox related?
- greensimonc

- Posts:106
- Joined:Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm
'66 E Type Series 1, 4.2l 2+2 Auto
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
- greensimonc

- Posts:106
- Joined:Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm
Re: Engine revs surge but auto gearbox related?
Hi again - an explanation! My car went in for its MOT and whilst being manoeuvred it had a throttle surge, thankfully without mishap. After much head scratching they discovered that the near side engine mount had deteriorated and under power the engine was tilting and allowing the throttle linkage on the off side to catch and stick on. Pretty difficult to find and diagnose so a big shout out to Sanspeed in Bexleyheath and great to find the cause - I guess by taking the car out of drive, the engine relaxed and freed the linkage, hence my confusion over the apparent link to the gearbox. Live and learn…….
Cheers, Simon.
Cheers, Simon.
'66 E Type Series 1, 4.2l 2+2 Auto
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
MY23 E Pace P300e R Dynamic SE AWD PHEV
Tiger Cat E1
gone and much missed:
'63 reg XF Sportbrake 3.0 v6 Diesel S Premium Luxury
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest