DIFFICULTY IN SELECTING GEARS WHEN COLD

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

CDUNN

Member
Posts:6
Joined:Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:51 pm
DIFFICULTY IN SELECTING GEARS WHEN COLD

Postby CDUNN » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Hello All
I would welcome some thoughts on a gear selection issue I have with my 1968 E-Type S2 FHC fitted with its original gearbox. The gearbox was fully overhauled about 15 years ago and since then the car has done less than 3000 miles; the clutch was replaced at the same time. The fluid in the gearbox is Redline MT-90 Fully Synthetic (ester-based) API GL-4. The clutch has been adjusted correctly and the hydraulics checked and found to be operating normally.
The problem is difficulty in engaging 1st and 2nd when cold. Once the transmission warms up through driving, gear selection becomes progressively easier and smoother although still notchy on occasions. I don't think that the clutch is dragging although the car was in storage for a prolonged period up until 2015 which probably was not helpful. In the worst case, I turn the engine off, select first gear and then restart the engine; when I do this the car has no obvious tendency to creep or stall. Selection of reverse gear is a bit of a lottery when the car is hot although selection of 1st and 2nd and allowing the engine speed to settle to idle helps; if reluctant, then I select reverse with the engine stopped which preserves the precious reverse gear. I can live with all of this and don't think it warrants clutch removal.
Does any of this sound familiar and is it fairly common for an S2?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests