S3 V12 FHC - Considering Auto to 5sp Manual Conversion

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

rogerpearce99
Posts:3
Joined:Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:44 pm
S3 V12 FHC - Considering Auto to 5sp Manual Conversion

Postby rogerpearce99 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:48 pm

I am slowly improving a 1972 S3 V12 and have already had the auto box overhauled when the engine was rebuilt (at over 120,000 miles). Despite being overhauled the auto box is a little temperamental and given that the car is in good order but is on the lower end of desirability based on its series, engine (arguably!), transmission, mileage, lack of history etc etc it is perhaps a good candidate to prioritise future fun and driveability over originality. Saying that I also understand the purist view that the car should remain as close to original as possible.

I would be grateful for any views and recommendations as which way to go, particularly the experience of anyone else who has converted and how heavy the clutch might be.

Thanks,

Roger

lowebird

Member
Posts:434
Joined:Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Location:Norfolk

Re: S3 V12 FHC - Considering Auto to 5sp Manual Conversion

Postby lowebird » Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 pm

Roger,
For what it's worth, my 4.2 is fitted with a Tremec T5 G/box which seems to be one of the favoured conversions. It fits with no problems and the gearstick is in exactly the right place.
Reg

User avatar
raysearles

Member
Posts:397
Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: S3 V12 FHC - Considering Auto to 5sp Manual Conversion

Postby raysearles » Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 pm

There are several very good 5 speed conversion available, you have to balance the benefits against the costs to make the change, given most cars don;t cover that many miles a year.

However from a personal point of view if you have any thoughts about long distance touring covering 100-300 miles per day, then I would think carefully about how "fit" your left leg is first.
Ray
JEC Events Chairman

2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)

rogerpearce99
Posts:3
Joined:Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: S3 V12 FHC - Considering Auto to 5sp Manual Conversion

Postby rogerpearce99 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:09 pm

Many thanks Reg and Ray, apologies for the long delay in responding to your comments but I have been working overseas extensively and not had much time for hobbies this year.

It does now look like the engine may have to come out for other reasons and so would be the opportune time, I am very conscious of the weight of the clutch pedal but it appears that the Tremec T5 supplied by Elite with the servo in the bell housing may offer the lightest load on the left leg. I am also swayed by the idea of a new gearbox rather than a refurbished Getrag and think the extra cost may be worthwhile in the long run.

I will let you know the outcome!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests