I'm a recent purchaser of a 1967ots fitted with a Jaguar All Syncro 4 speed box and I have quickly realised that I need a 5speed box if I'm am to go any long distances. The problem is which one? Getrag is out of the running judging by previous comments so where do I go from here?
Peter
E type gearbox
Re: E type gearbox
There seem to be several posts on this topic on the E-type tansmission section. Speak to Ken Jenkins if you need a personal contact who knows what he is talking about - his details are in the Club mag.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: E type gearbox
Hi Peter
The T5 conversion is a good one. The one I got has the same ratios as the standard E-Type box on 1st to 4th and then 5th gives you a nice overdrive ratio.
Do you know what final drive ratio you have? This can make a big difference. Most people go for the 3.07 but I went for the 3.31 which, coupled with the 5 speed box, should give nice effortless cruising but still allow spirited driving and overtaking when required.
You often find these cars don't have the correct final drive ratios fitted, especially if they've been re-imported. This is because people have had to make do with what they could get at the time. Mine came back from the USA with a 3.77 diff, which was never an E-Type ratio.
Anybody want a 3.77:1 LSD?
Regards
The T5 conversion is a good one. The one I got has the same ratios as the standard E-Type box on 1st to 4th and then 5th gives you a nice overdrive ratio.
Do you know what final drive ratio you have? This can make a big difference. Most people go for the 3.07 but I went for the 3.31 which, coupled with the 5 speed box, should give nice effortless cruising but still allow spirited driving and overtaking when required.
You often find these cars don't have the correct final drive ratios fitted, especially if they've been re-imported. This is because people have had to make do with what they could get at the time. Mine came back from the USA with a 3.77 diff, which was never an E-Type ratio.
Anybody want a 3.77:1 LSD?
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
Re: E type gearbox
Hi Peter
If your four speed is in good condition I may be interested in buying it when you do the conversion. Let me know if you're interested.
Phil
1962 FHC
If your four speed is in good condition I may be interested in buying it when you do the conversion. Let me know if you're interested.
Phil
1962 FHC
-
PSTAPLETON
- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:55 am
Re: E type gearbox
Further investigation has shown that the final drive is a high ratio as the car tops out at about 120 hence the need for a 5 gear to counteract this and give reasonable revs at cruising speeds. The box is in good order and is not noisy and has smooth selection. I did speak to a a supplier/manufacturer from the north of England who makes his own designed box which fits without "cutting and modifying ". Has anyone any experience of this box? I think the advice to talk to Ken appears sound so I will do that.
Re: E type gearbox
Hello Pstapelton,
surely the economical answer is to change the final drive not the gearbox? Unless you wish to take advantage of slightly improved acceleration and a more relaxed cruising with a lower geared final drive, I don't see a gain with a 5 speed gearbox?
I take it E Types didn't use the overdrive gearboxes fitted to many saloons?
Alec
surely the economical answer is to change the final drive not the gearbox? Unless you wish to take advantage of slightly improved acceleration and a more relaxed cruising with a lower geared final drive, I don't see a gain with a 5 speed gearbox?
I take it E Types didn't use the overdrive gearboxes fitted to many saloons?
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
PSTAPLETON
- Posts:3
- Joined:Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:55 am
Re: E type gearbox
Hello Alec
Good thought, I'll put that to Ken Jenkins when I talk to him. Thank you
Good thought, I'll put that to Ken Jenkins when I talk to him. Thank you
Re: E type gearbox
Hi Peter and others.
I fitted a E Type Fabrications five speed gearbox late last year as I had to get the engine out and the existing gearbox was somewhat in need of some major works.
The ETF box is superb and fits in without any modifications whatsoever. 5th gear gives excellent cruising and good mpg. Only done about 1000 miles so have no info on durability.
Check them out.
Roger
I fitted a E Type Fabrications five speed gearbox late last year as I had to get the engine out and the existing gearbox was somewhat in need of some major works.
The ETF box is superb and fits in without any modifications whatsoever. 5th gear gives excellent cruising and good mpg. Only done about 1000 miles so have no info on durability.
Check them out.
Roger
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: E type gearbox
Alec
There isn't room in an E-Type for an overdrive unit. Would be nice if there was. Might be a possibility with a 2+2 as these are available with auto but the FHC and roadster are out.
PStapleton,
Do you know what final drive ratio you have? Perhaps a ratio swap is the best first step and its nowhere near as involved as a gearbox swap.
Regards
There isn't room in an E-Type for an overdrive unit. Would be nice if there was. Might be a possibility with a 2+2 as these are available with auto but the FHC and roadster are out.
PStapleton,
Do you know what final drive ratio you have? Perhaps a ratio swap is the best first step and its nowhere near as involved as a gearbox swap.
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests