New ETF 5 speed gearbox - first test drive

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

User avatar
DaveK
Posts:139
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:45 pm
Location:Worcs
Contact:
New ETF 5 speed gearbox - first test drive

Postby DaveK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:38 pm

I now have the evidence and have driven a car with a brand new ETF
gearbox in and my verdict: Excellent.

Uryk has bought a really nice 3.8 FHC to use as a test drive car
and since I had to go up to Darlington today on business I asked
him last week if it was OK to call in that's when he told me he had
a car and I could be the very first person outside of his team to
actually drive a car with it fitted.

Since I have a 3.8 OTS I thought it would be good to give a direct
comparison against my Moss box I had only driven my car last week
so it was still fresh in my mind.
You have to bear in mind that I had to get used to a slightly
different car first before I could really start to give the box a
good going over also the car was bare inside meaning no carpets or
sound deadening at all, no gearbox tunnel with sound deadening just
the fibreglass gearbox surround with some foam stuffed around the
top to get the heat out.
Having taken all that into account there was no noise from this box
at all so with everything in place it would be just engine noise
you could hear.
Driving up to the traffic lights I clicked it into 1st as I
approached no grinding or clicking of gears it was smooth and very
positive.
Taking off 1st to 2nd and all the way up the box was again smooth
and very positive you know exactly what gear you are selecting with
absolutely no fuss same coming down the gears.

I drove around town changing up and down more than I normally would
and looking all the time for something I could criticize the box
for but there is no heat, no vibration at any speed no whining or
clicking of gears at all.
I found a long dual carriageway to have a quick blast up changing
very fast must faster than I could with my Mossbox and the throw of
the gear lever is much shorter.

So overall impressions are it is a very capable solid box and the I
did find when first driving it I was using far too much effort to
change gears and when I did start to get used to it then two finger
pressure was easily enough.

The speedo was reading high so at an indicated 70 mph I was doing
just over 1600 RPM in 5th gear where in 4th at 70 I was doing
2300RPM.

I did notice how relaxed the car felt to drive when you put it into
5th gear which would be perfect for high speed cruising.

I have never driven an E-type with a 5 speed box before so I can't
compare it to any other however one of the reasons I have never
considered buying a 5 speed was the stories of its a recon box from
this car or you just need to adapt the bellhousing and cut parts
out of the tunnel and firewall cut the propshaft etc etc well this
box you drop the engine out the bottom remove the old box fit the
new drop in the new factory balanced propshaft supplied and bolt it
all back up again it even has a new gearbox support.
Everything is as it should be and what you would expect from E-Type
fabs.
Get your order in now as production has now begun!!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests