I am having alittle trouble getting the tuning on the original V12 engine carbs running sweet. flooding etc.. I have spoke to SNG Barratt and they have recommended the SU conversion kit FZX3062 at £899 +VAT (http://www.sngbarratt.com/catalogue/par ... s=0&back=n)
As anybody got anything to comment on this, would this be a good upgrade? they have also mentioned the webber kit but that is £2677 + VAT..not sure if I want to go that far?
new carbs...
-
peteslater
- Posts:1
- Joined:Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:54 pm
Pete
E-type S3 2+2 V12
engine that requires deep pockets!
E-type S3 2+2 V12
engine that requires deep pockets!
Re: new carbs...
Hello Peter,
while I much prefer S.U.'s to the Stromberg, partly as I have much more experience with them, I would think that it would be far cheaper to get your existing carburettors properly repaired. The blurb requires reading with a pinch of salt in my opinion.
Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the Stromberg set up you have could advise you on the best way to get them running correctly.
Alec
while I much prefer S.U.'s to the Stromberg, partly as I have much more experience with them, I would think that it would be far cheaper to get your existing carburettors properly repaired. The blurb requires reading with a pinch of salt in my opinion.
Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the Stromberg set up you have could advise you on the best way to get them running correctly.
Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: new carbs...
Hi Peter
I agree with Alec. Why spend all that money on a conversion to SU's when all the parts are available for your existing carbs?
Webers are only really good if you're going racing because you only really benefit at the top end of the rev range.
Why not talk to an expert on V12's? You could start with the club experts and work your way through from there. Its far better getting unbiased advice from an expert rather than from a parts supplier with a strong interest in selling you something expensive and shiny.
I know very little about Stromberg carbs. except that a friend of mine with a Hillman Hunter used to have to change the diaphragm in his carb. every 4 months or so because they used to tear and cause rough running and would often fail to start. There was probably some underlying problem but we were only kids then.
Good Luck
Stuart
I agree with Alec. Why spend all that money on a conversion to SU's when all the parts are available for your existing carbs?
Webers are only really good if you're going racing because you only really benefit at the top end of the rev range.
Why not talk to an expert on V12's? You could start with the club experts and work your way through from there. Its far better getting unbiased advice from an expert rather than from a parts supplier with a strong interest in selling you something expensive and shiny.
I know very little about Stromberg carbs. except that a friend of mine with a Hillman Hunter used to have to change the diaphragm in his carb. every 4 months or so because they used to tear and cause rough running and would often fail to start. There was probably some underlying problem but we were only kids then.
Good Luck
Stuart
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests