Valve seal replacement

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

Bryan8916
Posts:4
Joined:Sat May 09, 2009 6:38 pm
Location:Victoria, B.C., Canada
Valve seal replacement

Postby Bryan8916 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks Dave. Your reply prompted me to phone the owner of the E-Type I am considering and I learned it is a 4.2 engine and does not have seals installed. A local technician has previously installed seals (using an adapter) by inducing sufficient air pressure into each cylinder to ensure the valve remains closed during the procedure. He has asked me " Inlet valves only, or exhaust as well" ? Do you have an opinion ?
Bryan..........

jmgtaylor
Posts:33
Joined:Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:39 am
Location:North Yorkshire

Postby jmgtaylor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:49 pm

inlet only required (on mine they were only fitted to inlet), the low pressure on the suction (inlet) stroke sucks the oil down the guides (hence the seals to limit it (but oil is still needed down the guide). The exhaust valves are the opposite way round since they have high pressure pushing exhaust gasses up the stem so no real need for seals though worn valve guides on exhaust do tend to assist in dirtying the oil quicker just as worn oil control (piston) rings do.

I have just about completed rebuilding mine, There was not too much smoke and thats not the reason why I replaced them, I had the engine in bits, and they crumbled into bits when I took them out - was worth changing from that point alone.

Hope that helps - might start a barrage of other responses mind!

Mark

User avatar
DaveK
Posts:139
Joined:Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:45 pm
Location:Worcs
Contact:

Postby DaveK » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Bryan,

I just looked in the book Practical classics written by the JEC's Colin Ford and he says 'inlet valves only' so there you go.

Dave


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest