Page 1 of 1

Unrestored 1966 E Type with 30000 miles from new - Should I change the head gasket?

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:43 pm
by Ken Briffa
My car is a 1966 Series 1 E type. The engine has never been restored and has done 30,000 miles from new.
The engine works fine and has no issues to report.
I have a question regarding the cylinder head gasket which is 55 years old.
Should the head gasket be replaced as a preventative maintenance issue after 55 years?
There are no oil spots under the car ever.
There are small oil leaks which can be seen on the side of the engine which come from the head gasket.
Are there any other items which should be replaced after 55 years.
The car is in superb condition and has always been garaged.

Thank you and have a great day.

Ken

Re: Unrestored 1966 E Type with 30000 miles from new - Should I change the head gasket?

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:01 pm
by JimboV8
Considering what the car is worth, change it. It’s already leaking so it makes perfect sense. Also worth converting the valves for unleaded petrol while you’re at it.
A new water pump and complete flush of the system may be worth thinking about.

Re: Unrestored 1966 E Type with 30000 miles from new - Should I change the head gasket?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:28 pm
by Ken Briffa
Hey thanks for yours Jimbo.
I will discuss.
The point is that my mechanic informs that when replacing the gasket there is. tendency to want to check out other engine components and the price becomes X2 or X3.

I am under the impression that the E Type 4.2 engine does not require anything done to it to use unleaded petrol.

The water pump has been changed, the radiator fully flushed and all water pipes replaced as also an upgrade to the rather useless original cooling fan.
Petrol pump has been replaced with an SU electronic version.
All brake hoses replaced with Goodridge one. Brake pads replaced with green stuff.
Points, points condenser, distributor cap and rotor replaced with original Jaguar new ones. Large condensor replaced with Lucas Classic Sport one (I prefer the original silver version but ...), high tension cables also replaced with NGK silver plated copper with silicone covering.
Car works fine.