Dear Art,
Thank you very much for your reply.
From my own investigations and all the very helpful advice I have received on the forum it seems most likely that the problem lies with oil getting past the valve stems and into the cylinders when the car has been stood up for while and I intend to have these done over the closed season with the latest phosphor bronze inserts which should also solve the oil pressure issue. The front oil seal has already been replaced about 2 years back.
Kind regards,
David
Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
-
Merlin_V12

- Posts:8
- Joined:Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:19 pm
- Location:Shepton Mallet BA4 4JX
- Contact:
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Hello David,
as I said earlier, oil won't leak down the valve stems when the car is standing, there should be no oil left up there as when hot the oil in that area quickly drains back into the sump. It may well be that the guides and seals need attention but it's not due to the car standing for a while. The proposed repairs will also make no difference to the oil pressure.
Alec
as I said earlier, oil won't leak down the valve stems when the car is standing, there should be no oil left up there as when hot the oil in that area quickly drains back into the sump. It may well be that the guides and seals need attention but it's not due to the car standing for a while. The proposed repairs will also make no difference to the oil pressure.
Alec
Last edited by piman on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I. , 564 Hymer Motorhome
Re: Excessive blue smoke and oil consumption
Hi David, sorry to see your woes. I run a 3.8 Mk2 and when I bought it there were issues with the cylinder head leaking oil into the cylinders giving blue smoke. I used VSE in mid Wales for the work. They were superb and are known for their Jaguar engine refurbs so I would recommend them if you are contemplating work on it. The head was sent and returned by their recommended courier.
Regards,
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Mk2 3.8
Nissan Micra K13
Porsche Macan S
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests