Page 1 of 1

Best Engine Oil

Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 pm
by MrNpw
Hello all

As one job finishes another starts !

What are people's thoughts on the best engine oil to use in the etype 4.2 ?

Castrol GTX 10w 50 is something I here alot about but it only seems to be available in the USA , I can get GTX 10w or 20w 40 but is this any good ?

Help would be welcomed

Nick

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:54 pm
by chris.g
Good quality 20/50 oil. I'm told that the halfords classic is based on the old duckhams 20/50

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:06 pm
by MrNpw
Thanks Chris

Would rather use a premium brand as opposed to Halfords , I want to treat the engine with the love it deserves.

I have heard many people use castrol GTX 15w 40

Does anyone have any thoughts on this oil ?

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 pm
by NATONEIL
Nick

I have used the Halfords classic 20-50 oil since my 4.2 engine was reconditioned 3 years ago and it has served me well, I get a good pressure and there is little variation when the engine gets hot.

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:20 pm
by MrNpw
Thanks Neil

I have opted for castrol GTX 15w 40, great oil pressure and as Jaguar originally recommend GTX I feel it is the best option

Thanks

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 am
by blue2
This is my cats preferred choice : Morris Lubricants Golden Film SAE 20W-50. Normally retails around £16 / 5 litre.
Check out the Morris website. I'd prefer to buy my oil from a lubricant specialist who will provide a product data sheet rather than Halfords whose idea of a specification is " for use in Summer and Winter" and "Protects and preserves old engines" - like if you don't use oil your engine may well be damaged! Note Morris's has a more recent API rating than Halford's ...... but then I prefer Wadworths 6X to Theakstones Old Peculiar so we all has our preferences. Happy Motoring.

Re: Best Engine Oil

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 pm
by raysearles
That is the preferred oil I use as well - good stuff and supporting British jobs in the West Midlands...