Buying my first E-Type

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

grantedwish

Member
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 am
Buying my first E-Type

Postby grantedwish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:32 am

I have been offered a 1970 XKE Roadster at a very good price and I know the car was well cared for and has just had engine re-build and paint. However I do not know were to look for the i dent numbers. Like my XJ-SC I believe they are in a number of locations. This car is part of a bereavement sale and because of a friend the car has been offered to me. As an XKE is on my wish list and was not until now a buying reality I have done little if any research. Matching #'s is apparently very important. I spoke with the late owner last year before he passed and it was very clear this car was his 1st love. His wife is willing to sell to anyone and want's rid of the car. Don't want to miss out but don't want to make a foolish buy either. Any help please!

PaulE
Posts:433
Joined:Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Buying my first E-Type

Postby PaulE » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:20 am

How can 'matching numbers' possibly enhance your enjoyment of the car? If it is available at a good price as you suggest just get it bought and get driving. I know this obsession with originality is rife amongst those who only get involved with classic cars as an investment when the stock exchange gets tired, but the movement would be better without such people in my opinion, so why bother.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine

grantedwish

Member
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Buying my first E-Type

Postby grantedwish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Well Paul thank's for that bit of your mind. Tried those lines on the wife and they did not help. I am not a purest but my lovely lady knows that I can drive only one car at a time. So trying not to brag I have 3 other classic British cars all worth a lot more than I paid and my lovely lady likes that and I can keep them. So upon purchase it IS important and when the 5 speed and 3 SU's go on the car will not be original and she won't know any different.

PaulE
Posts:433
Joined:Tue May 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Re: Buying my first E-Type

Postby PaulE » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Oh I get the picture now. I have found that the answer is to get a car that she also likes to ride in as 35000 miles in my XJS coupe proves. Sunburn and ruined hairdos are no help to amorous plans I seem to remember if memory serves; just be sure that the aircon is working before leaving for sunny climes. You will not be worried by that with an E-type, although it can be fitted , and would probably make the car more acceptable to the ladies than triple carbs.
1994 Coupe AJ6 engine

grantedwish

Member
Posts:31
Joined:Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Buying my first E-Type

Postby grantedwish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:18 am

Who do you think nik's my XJ-SC to go to work on hot day's. Did not buy the XKE needed more work than the the seller and my friend knew.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests