Hi
Have just bought a series 2 and want to fit wing mirrors for added security in heavy traffic. Can't seem to find any from the usual spares suppliers, hope some of you out there can help
Thanks
Mike
Wing mirrors
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: Wing mirrors
Hi Mike
Information on mirrors is thin on the ground.
Jaguar factory option was Magnatex M2VC/6C with Jaguar part number C19909. Finding out anything about these mirrors is not easy, although there is a pair for sale on ebay at the moment from John Gordon Jaguar Spares. If these are actually the correct part number then I think these would just look wrong on an E-Type.
The mirrors I see fitted on E-Types mostly are the bullet type, which are usually fitted on the scuttle. In the 1960's these were sold as the Arden Speed Mirror and were aimed at sports cars and even featured an E-Type in the advert. The mirrors I keep seeing that look the same as these just seem to be poorly made and I wouldn't put them on my car. They would have to be very special to cause me to drill holes in my bodywork.
These bullet mirrors are available in either chrome plated steel or anodised aluminium finish with either flat or convex glass. Superficially, they look good but don't really stand up to close scrutiny. I wouldn't think they would last long unless used on a really pampered car that never sees moisture.
As for suppliers, just visit the shows and you will always see plenty of trade stands offering them for sale.
Regards
Information on mirrors is thin on the ground.
Jaguar factory option was Magnatex M2VC/6C with Jaguar part number C19909. Finding out anything about these mirrors is not easy, although there is a pair for sale on ebay at the moment from John Gordon Jaguar Spares. If these are actually the correct part number then I think these would just look wrong on an E-Type.
The mirrors I see fitted on E-Types mostly are the bullet type, which are usually fitted on the scuttle. In the 1960's these were sold as the Arden Speed Mirror and were aimed at sports cars and even featured an E-Type in the advert. The mirrors I keep seeing that look the same as these just seem to be poorly made and I wouldn't put them on my car. They would have to be very special to cause me to drill holes in my bodywork.
These bullet mirrors are available in either chrome plated steel or anodised aluminium finish with either flat or convex glass. Superficially, they look good but don't really stand up to close scrutiny. I wouldn't think they would last long unless used on a really pampered car that never sees moisture.
As for suppliers, just visit the shows and you will always see plenty of trade stands offering them for sale.
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
-
michael.meloy
- Posts:3
- Joined:Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm
Re: Wing mirrors
Hi Stuart
Thanks for the info, not a great fan of the Bullit style mirrors.
Have seen mirrors on Series 3 cars that look quite good and are fixed to the doors but again I don't seem to be able to finr part numbers / suppliers as I think they were original fitment from the factory at one time !
Regards
Mike
Thanks for the info, not a great fan of the Bullit style mirrors.
Have seen mirrors on Series 3 cars that look quite good and are fixed to the doors but again I don't seem to be able to finr part numbers / suppliers as I think they were original fitment from the factory at one time !
Regards
Mike
Re: Wing mirrors
Cheap and possibly too cheerful, some on ebay here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULLET-MIRROR ... 0962271947
Mike
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULLET-MIRROR ... 0962271947
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: Wing mirrors
Hi Mike & Mike
Yep, those ones on Ebay are the ones to which I allude. Not a fan.
I don't have a factory parts manual for the series 3 but I'm sure the optional extras section in that would give a part number for door mirrors.
I think the ones on that Ebay advert for John Gordon are actually Desmo mirrors, not Magnatex. I think this because my Dad had mirrors just like that on his 60's Vauxhalls and I am sure they were Desmo branded (he used to buy the extension arms for when he was towing the caravan).
I'm sure a series 3 owner will swing into action to help you out here.
I hope you find something suitable.
Regards
Yep, those ones on Ebay are the ones to which I allude. Not a fan.
I don't have a factory parts manual for the series 3 but I'm sure the optional extras section in that would give a part number for door mirrors.
I think the ones on that Ebay advert for John Gordon are actually Desmo mirrors, not Magnatex. I think this because my Dad had mirrors just like that on his 60's Vauxhalls and I am sure they were Desmo branded (he used to buy the extension arms for when he was towing the caravan).
I'm sure a series 3 owner will swing into action to help you out here.
I hope you find something suitable.
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
- raysearles

- Posts:397
- Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm
Re: Wing mirrors
Mike
The mirrors generally seen fitted to Series 3's are supplied in the UK by SNG Barratt - they have I believe remanufactured them from the original designs; you can buy manual or cable operated versions; I fitted cable operated versions to my Series III but to be honest the range of movement is not great. If you do opt to buy these be very careful about mounting points. You need to be sitting exactly in your regular driving position and get someone competent to mark the mounting points; I say that because mine had to be relocated causing the door to be re-finished because the initial marking out located them where they did not provide the required rear view.
The mirrors generally seen fitted to Series 3's are supplied in the UK by SNG Barratt - they have I believe remanufactured them from the original designs; you can buy manual or cable operated versions; I fitted cable operated versions to my Series III but to be honest the range of movement is not great. If you do opt to buy these be very careful about mounting points. You need to be sitting exactly in your regular driving position and get someone competent to mark the mounting points; I say that because mine had to be relocated causing the door to be re-finished because the initial marking out located them where they did not provide the required rear view.
Ray
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
-
michael.meloy
- Posts:3
- Joined:Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm
Re: Wing mirrors
Hi Ray
Thanks will contact SNG Barrett as that seems the best overall solution, have used them for other parts and found them OK
Mike
Thanks will contact SNG Barrett as that seems the best overall solution, have used them for other parts and found them OK
Mike
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
