Whats the view of the next generation taking over the reins for home restoration of current and recent modern Jaguars. My belief is the E Type, XJ Series 3 and possibly the XJS were the last real home restoration candidates.
Moving into the XJ40 Series I don't believe is a viable home restorers car, and certainly not in 10 or 15 years time. Anything after the XJ40 is even more unlikley to be restored, not because of the mechanicals, nuts and bolts are after all nuts and bolts, similarly welding is welding (although aluminium cars pose a different level of skill). The real issue will be the electronic modules, ecu's, digital displays and even harnesses. If you take an XK8 and there are some examples about that can be bought for as little as £3k, in several years time when access to cheap spares has passed (have you tried to get any XK engine bits from your local breaker in the last couple of years?) where would one go to rectify an alarm module or digital display or engine/gearbox ecu. These won't be fixable by the part time home restorer and I don't think companies will gear up to produce spares
I think we are living in the twighlight of the home restorers day. Home respays are almost non existant due to H&S legislation and I can see the day when an individual won't be allowed to buy paint for home spray use. Similarly home storage of gas cylinders for welding purposes will be a no no.
This might be overstating the case, but I don't think so....what does the team think?
