E-type review towards the end of the program.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/
Mike
E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
The programme was brilliant but did anyone get the point of the "E-Type Speedster" that had been built?
Don't get me wrong it looked and sounded glorious but just what is it? I can think of a dozen or so other cars I'd rather buy for that sort of money and they wouldn't have an XK engine.
Rich man's folly or a shrewd business opportunity?
Stuart
Don't get me wrong it looked and sounded glorious but just what is it? I can think of a dozen or so other cars I'd rather buy for that sort of money and they wouldn't have an XK engine.
Rich man's folly or a shrewd business opportunity?
Stuart
- XjRestorations
- Posts:216
- Joined:Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm
- Location:East Sussex
- Contact:
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
Eagle built the car as a one off under instruction from a US customer.
The finished car was a handbuilt work of art. It appealed to a certain ex F1 driver, who comissioned Eagle to build another one - the car seen on TopGear.
I doubt Eagle ever set out to build a production line of 'modern' E-types, but their vision and quality of work has probably got a small order book filling up.
The TopGear feature on the car was amazing, but still didn't do the car justice. Virtually everything on the car is hand build. The 4.7ltr XK engine for example is not simply a bored out XK - it is an all new aluminium block - an all new engine built by Eagle.
Keith
The finished car was a handbuilt work of art. It appealed to a certain ex F1 driver, who comissioned Eagle to build another one - the car seen on TopGear.
I doubt Eagle ever set out to build a production line of 'modern' E-types, but their vision and quality of work has probably got a small order book filling up.
The TopGear feature on the car was amazing, but still didn't do the car justice. Virtually everything on the car is hand build. The 4.7ltr XK engine for example is not simply a bored out XK - it is an all new aluminium block - an all new engine built by Eagle.
Keith
JEC XJ Series Forum Coordinator & Body/Paint advisor.
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
http://www.xjrestorations.co.uk
http://www.jaguarclassicspares.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaguar-Xj ... 3187439423
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
I thinks its more for people with more money than sense.
I was told the other day there are 8 on order.
If I was given that sort money to spend on a car Id buy a lovely E-Type
Plus my dream car a Lamborghini Muira with the change
I was told the other day there are 8 on order.
If I was given that sort money to spend on a car Id buy a lovely E-Type
Plus my dream car a Lamborghini Muira with the change
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator
1970 - 420G - WiP
1962 - E-Type FHC
1997 - X330 4.0
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
Yep, my point exactly. I don't deny its lovely but its neither fish nor fowl.
If you love E-Types then buy an E-type. Anything else isn't an E-Type.
I already have my E-Type so I'll buy a Silver Cloud and a GT40 with the £600k. Maybe.
Wait a minute Car-Nut, I'll buy an Aston Martin and 3 Mini Coopers and then we can go and re-enact the Italian Job. Sorted.
Stuart
If you love E-Types then buy an E-type. Anything else isn't an E-Type.
I already have my E-Type so I'll buy a Silver Cloud and a GT40 with the £600k. Maybe.
Wait a minute Car-Nut, I'll buy an Aston Martin and 3 Mini Coopers and then we can go and re-enact the Italian Job. Sorted.
Stuart
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
Now thats a proper filmWait a minute Car-Nut, I'll buy an Aston Martin and 3 Mini Coopers and then we can go and re-enact the Italian Job. Sorted.
Stuart
But the beginning is enough to make a grown man weep
Even though the second Italian Job fil is good and that chaps daughter (the safe cracker) is a pretty thing
Clive
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator
1970 - 420G - WiP
1962 - E-Type FHC
1997 - X330 4.0
(Car- Nut)
MK7, 8 & 9 Forum Co-ordinator
&
MK10 420G Forum Co-ordinator
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: E-type at 50. Clarkson/Top Gear
Dead Right
Some things should be left alone, especially sixties/seventies movies.
Italian Job - the Yanks tried to make it their own.
Gone in 60 seconds - okay (only because Nick Cage is cool - and an E-Type owner) but not a patch on the original.
What next? American Graffiti featuring the cast of Friends? I can't believe I even thought of that!
How do you spell curmudgeon?
Stuart
Some things should be left alone, especially sixties/seventies movies.
Italian Job - the Yanks tried to make it their own.
Gone in 60 seconds - okay (only because Nick Cage is cool - and an E-Type owner) but not a patch on the original.
What next? American Graffiti featuring the cast of Friends? I can't believe I even thought of that!
How do you spell curmudgeon?
Stuart
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
