Hi all,
have had an XK8 for 7 years now, mainly because I could not justify purchasing an e type at the (then) incredibly high prices - but look at them now!! So now I can get to the cream of jags, would anybody recommend changing from XK8 to E type in their experience? I must say it's simply the look of the car, nothing I have seen can compare but I can only run to a coupe. Are spare parts still available and are they relatively easy to work on? Most certainly XK8's are not so easy, neither are they particularly reliable in my experience so I won't be losing out on that count. Any strong recommendations for a retro upgrade?
xk8 to e type?
-
OldEnglish68

- Posts:12
- Joined:Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am
Re: xk8 to e type?
Hi
I'm no expert but would suggest getting as many test drives in as many versions of E-Type as you can.
Once you decide you still want one and which version it will be, check out a few as every single one out there is very different from the next.
The XK8 and E-Type are centuries apart in virtually every way and you'll only know if you like the E-experience by trying it.
I have a very nice example of the 'softies' E - a series 3 v12 2+2. Mocked by purists for having more space, softer ride, power steering etc etc, it was aimed squarely at the 'soft' US market and suits me all the better for it.
However, the culture-shock when changing from Mercedes CLK to E-Type is alarming!
The S3 is probably closer in character to the XK8 than S1s and 2s, but it's still a big gap!
Spares and consumables abound at reasonable prices as far as I can tell. I am 100% dependent on others for fixing anything so appreciate that and the simplicity of most of the repairs.
I got lucky with my purchase but would suggest a full education of what to look out for before buying (I didn't appreciate value of solid bulkheads, of example)
Owning and driving the E-type is a great pleasure because I just love 60s and 70s cars. It's not for everyone though.
(Sorry, just my 2p....!)
On another day, I would say "just do it - you will never regret it!"
Good luck with the search.
OE68
PS: Personally dead-against retro-upgrades. Do see why it's easy to be tempted though.
I'm no expert but would suggest getting as many test drives in as many versions of E-Type as you can.
Once you decide you still want one and which version it will be, check out a few as every single one out there is very different from the next.
The XK8 and E-Type are centuries apart in virtually every way and you'll only know if you like the E-experience by trying it.
I have a very nice example of the 'softies' E - a series 3 v12 2+2. Mocked by purists for having more space, softer ride, power steering etc etc, it was aimed squarely at the 'soft' US market and suits me all the better for it.
However, the culture-shock when changing from Mercedes CLK to E-Type is alarming!
The S3 is probably closer in character to the XK8 than S1s and 2s, but it's still a big gap!
Spares and consumables abound at reasonable prices as far as I can tell. I am 100% dependent on others for fixing anything so appreciate that and the simplicity of most of the repairs.
I got lucky with my purchase but would suggest a full education of what to look out for before buying (I didn't appreciate value of solid bulkheads, of example)
Owning and driving the E-type is a great pleasure because I just love 60s and 70s cars. It's not for everyone though.
(Sorry, just my 2p....!)
On another day, I would say "just do it - you will never regret it!"
Good luck with the search.
OE68
PS: Personally dead-against retro-upgrades. Do see why it's easy to be tempted though.
Re: xk8 to e type?
Thanks for your views Old English. I think the retro route is unlikely as the price difference is not so great now and it just wouldn't be an E type. I learnt to drive in an Austin 7 so grew up in the sixties with cars devoid of the currrent luxuries we take for granted, (however it's easy to become used to them). I assume it is possible to fit items like a/c, but the bulk of goodies on modern cars I can live without (providing power steering is included) and less to go wrong. Do you think the spares/servicing to be much more expensive than for instance an XK8?
-
OldEnglish68

- Posts:12
- Joined:Tue May 10, 2016 10:41 am
Re: xk8 to e type?
Hello again
Second attempt at second reply....
Sounds to me like you're ready for an E-Type!
Parts prices are low for the E-Type and labour rates are the same, presumably, for both cars. I would hazard a guess that an older car will need more work to keep it on the road though.
Good luck, I hope you find one.
OE68
Second attempt at second reply....
Sounds to me like you're ready for an E-Type!
Parts prices are low for the E-Type and labour rates are the same, presumably, for both cars. I would hazard a guess that an older car will need more work to keep it on the road though.
Good luck, I hope you find one.
OE68
-
stuarthardy

- Posts:488
- Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
- Location:North Shropshire
Re: xk8 to e type?
Hi Painter
E-types are far less complex than XK8's and hence there is so much less to go wrong with them. However, they do still go wrong. I would say that spares prices are exorbitant and the spares are of very questionable quality. I have encountered parts costing 3 times or more from Jaguar specialists than from specialist of other marques selling exactly the same part (particularly electrical parts). Shopping around is essential.
When buying, the hardest thing to do is to prevent your heart from ruling your head. So take an independent person along with you for the second viewing of The One. They should help keep your feet on the ground and encourage you to negotiate hard. If they're an E-Type expert then so much the better.
As with any second hand car purchase, look at lots of them and buy the best you can afford and have a competent person look after it (that could be you, of course). Preventive maintenance is always a good idea.
I have 4 cars from the 60's and 70's. All use points and condensers and have carburettors. They all start on the button. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of contact breakers and choke cables..........
Regards
E-types are far less complex than XK8's and hence there is so much less to go wrong with them. However, they do still go wrong. I would say that spares prices are exorbitant and the spares are of very questionable quality. I have encountered parts costing 3 times or more from Jaguar specialists than from specialist of other marques selling exactly the same part (particularly electrical parts). Shopping around is essential.
When buying, the hardest thing to do is to prevent your heart from ruling your head. So take an independent person along with you for the second viewing of The One. They should help keep your feet on the ground and encourage you to negotiate hard. If they're an E-Type expert then so much the better.
As with any second hand car purchase, look at lots of them and buy the best you can afford and have a competent person look after it (that could be you, of course). Preventive maintenance is always a good idea.
I have 4 cars from the 60's and 70's. All use points and condensers and have carburettors. They all start on the button. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity of contact breakers and choke cables..........
Regards
Stuart
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests