car alarm

Moderators:iRS, Art1012

4jagsjohn
Posts:55
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 am
car alarm

Postby 4jagsjohn » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:43 am

Has anyone had a good security setup fitted to their E type as the value of these cars is steadily rising I guess it makes them more of a target to be stolen. I have a 1969 2+2 which I have owned for over 35 years now and use on a regular basis for most of the year. We go on many holidays in her and obviously the car gets parked ( with some degree of common sense) hither and thither wherever we go or visit. I have seen advertising for a removable steering wheel which looks good but a bit cumbersome for every occasion. Have thought of making the gearstick a simple to remove and replace item mine is an auto gearbox. Used to have an isolation switch for the fuel pump but after driving off many times and the car dying after a few minutes thinking what the hells wrong before remembering I hadn't swiitched the pump on discarded it. I feel a straight forward alarm system may not be good enough to deter a thief especially if the car is parked in an isolation spot like beach or beauty spot car parks. Any suggestions cheers. John.

stuarthardy

Member
Posts:488
Joined:Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 pm
Location:North Shropshire

Re: car alarm

Postby stuarthardy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi John

I would recommend having a Tracker fitted. Not the cheapest of things but they are invaluable as they can actually help you recover the car. It certainly reduced the insurance premiums on my 911 when I had it.

A battery isolator is a good idea where you remove a switch type lever and render the car inoperative. The beauty of this is you can't move the car yourself without it, so no more embarrassing grinding to a halt after forgetting to switch on the fuel pump.

You could also buy a GPS tracker that you can monitor from your smart phone. Not terribly expensive although there is usually an annual subscription. Like the Tracker system you can hide it away so no-one would know it was there.

Generally, alarms are a liability and just get ignored by passers by. A gear lever/handbrake lock is a good visible deterrent but if someone wants your car (and who doesn't want an E-Type?) then they'll just tow it or lift it onto a low loader.

Unfortunately, you can't use deterrents such as flame throwers or tear gas..........

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

4jagsjohn
Posts:55
Joined:Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 am

Re: car alarm

Postby 4jagsjohn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks Stuart for your reply. Sorry for late contact but forgot to look at the site. I have thought of a tracker but now the winter is almost here and won't be using the car much I am going to experiment with my idea of the removable gear stick. I will report my efforts if they work. Cheers John.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest