Hello all
As one job finishes another starts !
What are people's thoughts on the best engine oil to use in the etype 4.2 ?
Castrol GTX 10w 50 is something I here alot about but it only seems to be available in the USA , I can get GTX 10w or 20w 40 but is this any good ?
Help would be welcomed
Nick
Best Engine Oil
Re: Best Engine Oil
Good quality 20/50 oil. I'm told that the halfords classic is based on the old duckhams 20/50
Re: Best Engine Oil
Thanks Chris
Would rather use a premium brand as opposed to Halfords , I want to treat the engine with the love it deserves.
I have heard many people use castrol GTX 15w 40
Does anyone have any thoughts on this oil ?
Would rather use a premium brand as opposed to Halfords , I want to treat the engine with the love it deserves.
I have heard many people use castrol GTX 15w 40
Does anyone have any thoughts on this oil ?
Re: Best Engine Oil
Nick
I have used the Halfords classic 20-50 oil since my 4.2 engine was reconditioned 3 years ago and it has served me well, I get a good pressure and there is little variation when the engine gets hot.
I have used the Halfords classic 20-50 oil since my 4.2 engine was reconditioned 3 years ago and it has served me well, I get a good pressure and there is little variation when the engine gets hot.
Neil
Suffolk SS100 Jaguar
Honour the past, drive it today
Suffolk SS100 Jaguar
Honour the past, drive it today
Re: Best Engine Oil
Thanks Neil
I have opted for castrol GTX 15w 40, great oil pressure and as Jaguar originally recommend GTX I feel it is the best option
Thanks
I have opted for castrol GTX 15w 40, great oil pressure and as Jaguar originally recommend GTX I feel it is the best option
Thanks
Re: Best Engine Oil
This is my cats preferred choice : Morris Lubricants Golden Film SAE 20W-50. Normally retails around £16 / 5 litre.
Check out the Morris website. I'd prefer to buy my oil from a lubricant specialist who will provide a product data sheet rather than Halfords whose idea of a specification is " for use in Summer and Winter" and "Protects and preserves old engines" - like if you don't use oil your engine may well be damaged! Note Morris's has a more recent API rating than Halford's ...... but then I prefer Wadworths 6X to Theakstones Old Peculiar so we all has our preferences. Happy Motoring.
Check out the Morris website. I'd prefer to buy my oil from a lubricant specialist who will provide a product data sheet rather than Halfords whose idea of a specification is " for use in Summer and Winter" and "Protects and preserves old engines" - like if you don't use oil your engine may well be damaged! Note Morris's has a more recent API rating than Halford's ...... but then I prefer Wadworths 6X to Theakstones Old Peculiar so we all has our preferences. Happy Motoring.
- raysearles

- Posts:397
- Joined:Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:47 pm
Re: Best Engine Oil
That is the preferred oil I use as well - good stuff and supporting British jobs in the West Midlands...
Ray
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
JEC Events Chairman
2011 XJ351 Premium Luxury (tbd)
1971 E Type 2+2 Series 3, (Sophee)
1999 XKR Convertible (K8)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests