My v12 E is ticking over unusually high when warm. I have checked the choke and its fully off, checked all the linkages which are free and topped up the carb dashpots which cured it for a while but now its back. Full service done on car inc HT leads plugs etc. Car runs fine when driving
I have never had this happen before but would I be correct in the next step of checking the carb diaphrams and if this does not rectify problems I heard that a tappet could be out spec so I assume a compression test would prove that one way or another.
Any help would be appreciated
jon
High revs at tickover when warm
Re: High revs at tickover when warm
Not sure if you are sorted on this yet, I had a similar issue (not fully cured yet but better)
I checked all the linkages and cable for movement and sticking and all was fine, I had just done the diaphragms in the carbs as I was topping up every time I used the car (still have to top them up often) I found that if the oil in the carbs is low then when the engine was warm the car was ticking over fast. I topped them up and with a blip on the throttle would settle again to reasonable tick over but after a run I was still having to blip the throttle to get the engine to settle down to a proper idle.
I ran through the linkages again and decided to elimnate a bank at a time by disconnecting the linkages and alowing the car to idle at its own level (higher tickover) after it was warmed up I then blipped each bank to find out if the engine settled or not, by this method I found that the left hand bank butterflys were sticking slightly and when blipped the the engine settled down. I know I will need to reuild the carbs sooner or later (or go EFI) but for now I worked the butterflies and lubricated the spindles etc copiously and things are much better but not perfect hence a rebuild required at some point. Basically start at the throttle pedal after disconecting the linkages and work your way to each bank, check no stiffness in cable then each linkage then spindles.
Hope this hepls.
Colin
I checked all the linkages and cable for movement and sticking and all was fine, I had just done the diaphragms in the carbs as I was topping up every time I used the car (still have to top them up often) I found that if the oil in the carbs is low then when the engine was warm the car was ticking over fast. I topped them up and with a blip on the throttle would settle again to reasonable tick over but after a run I was still having to blip the throttle to get the engine to settle down to a proper idle.
I ran through the linkages again and decided to elimnate a bank at a time by disconnecting the linkages and alowing the car to idle at its own level (higher tickover) after it was warmed up I then blipped each bank to find out if the engine settled or not, by this method I found that the left hand bank butterflys were sticking slightly and when blipped the the engine settled down. I know I will need to reuild the carbs sooner or later (or go EFI) but for now I worked the butterflies and lubricated the spindles etc copiously and things are much better but not perfect hence a rebuild required at some point. Basically start at the throttle pedal after disconecting the linkages and work your way to each bank, check no stiffness in cable then each linkage then spindles.
Hope this hepls.
Colin
1973 signal red series 3 2+2 E type
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
