Fault Code Reader

Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight

TheWhiteSuit
Posts:3
Joined:Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:15 pm
Fault Code Reader

Postby TheWhiteSuit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:28 pm

I am quite new to the Jaguar Enthusiast Club so please excuse me if I have missed something relevant elsewhere on this subject.

I have, from new, a March 2005 3.0 V6 X-type Sovereign which has suffered many irritating mechanical failures over the years. It has done low mileage, about 45,000 and I am told this and it’s very intermittent use may well be the reason for the stream of problems and general unreliability. These usually trigger a fault code which then needs to be investigated and reset in the first instance, as I am told they do not seem to be a very reliable guide to pin pointing component failure.

Because of the lack of knowledge and understanding demonstrated by so many “experts” who have attended the vehicle and what also seems the capricious nature of the fault reporting system generally I would like to get a “mid-range” Fault Code Reader for myself, which can assist me to both diagnose faults and reset codes. After some research I find they come in variants from “dumb” readers costing a few tens of £s to professional units that cost many £s thousands, whatever it must be totally suitable, that is with diagnostic software appropriate to the car, my budget is around £300.

My friend who is an IT consultant, has a Porsche Boxster and a VW VR6 Golf and has FCRs for both and has found them invaluable in eliminating problems so I have good reason to believe they are useful in the hands of an amateur who is competent with electronic test equipment and comfortable with IT, which is how I would also class myself.

Has anyone any suggestions on which makes, types or models are suitable?

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Re: Fault Code Reader

Postby robv12 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 pm

these guys supplied various kit for a diagnostics seminar we ran some years back

http://www.gendan.co.uk/

worth a look see and give them a call if its what you think you need


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests