Dipped beam performance...lack of!!?
Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight
As a 'newcomer' to modern Jag motoring, (last owned mk2, Etype & xk150 in the 60's), I'm disappointed with my x type's dipped beam performance...has anyone carried out or can suggest ways of making significant improvement. Appropriate suggestions gratefully received.
Re: Dipped beam performance...lack of!!?
If you have conventional halogen lamps in the headlights (not the newer HID units) then why not consider uprating the lamps.
I have done this on my early S-type. Halfords as just one example offer upgrade lamps in several different light outputs. The more money you pay, the brighter or more powerful the lux density. Be aware that the strongest light output is white light rather than the faddish blue tinges which we see so often.
I have +130% uprates which really do make a difference.
If there is any negative impact, it is that the exterior lenses can yellow after a period of time. This can be rectified by periodically removing any fading or degradation caused presumably by the polycarbonate lenses degrading slightly due to somewhat increased running temperatures. it isn`t that much of a problem. A good rub up with rubbing compound keeps this slight issue under control.
The plus points of upgrading more than offset the negative effect.
Prices around £30 per pair of lamps. Otherwise plenty on ebay.
Hope that helps.
Mike K
I have done this on my early S-type. Halfords as just one example offer upgrade lamps in several different light outputs. The more money you pay, the brighter or more powerful the lux density. Be aware that the strongest light output is white light rather than the faddish blue tinges which we see so often.
I have +130% uprates which really do make a difference.
If there is any negative impact, it is that the exterior lenses can yellow after a period of time. This can be rectified by periodically removing any fading or degradation caused presumably by the polycarbonate lenses degrading slightly due to somewhat increased running temperatures. it isn`t that much of a problem. A good rub up with rubbing compound keeps this slight issue under control.
The plus points of upgrading more than offset the negative effect.
Prices around £30 per pair of lamps. Otherwise plenty on ebay.
Hope that helps.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Dipped beam performance...lack of!!?
What Oh Mike,
What is the legal position of using up- graded bulbs. As I understand it, this is governed by the vehicle construction and use regulations.
Having said that Zeon (spelling) light units appear to disregard any current legislation.
I get quite "miffed" when these vehicles appear from various directions with the blinding lights annoying other road users. Alright for them what about everybody else?
With regards to plastic headlight covers, does anybody use Goddard's canopy cleaner any more. I know you can buy it at Caravan Centres
Oldtimer
What is the legal position of using up- graded bulbs. As I understand it, this is governed by the vehicle construction and use regulations.
Having said that Zeon (spelling) light units appear to disregard any current legislation.
I get quite "miffed" when these vehicles appear from various directions with the blinding lights annoying other road users. Alright for them what about everybody else?
With regards to plastic headlight covers, does anybody use Goddard's canopy cleaner any more. I know you can buy it at Caravan Centres
Oldtimer
Re: Dipped beam performance...lack of!!?
The lamps I use are road legal at 55w each. No problem there.
Halfords also sell a headlight plastic restoration kit.
No experience of the Goddards product. Headlamp lens clean up does need a slightly abrasive product and often even then P1200 or P1500 wet and dry paper to get the degradation removed.
This link might be of interest to you re lens clean ups.
http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=7247
Mike
Halfords also sell a headlight plastic restoration kit.
No experience of the Goddards product. Headlamp lens clean up does need a slightly abrasive product and often even then P1200 or P1500 wet and dry paper to get the degradation removed.
This link might be of interest to you re lens clean ups.
http://www.jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=198&t=7247
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: Dipped beam performance...lack of!!?
X-Types can suffer from hazy lenses which can dramatically reduce output as Mike says. But standard halogen ones are poor anyway, in my experience uprated bulbs in the X add very little to the light output.
The best way is to use a 55W 4300K HID kit. No reports of problems with MOT either.
G
The best way is to use a 55W 4300K HID kit. No reports of problems with MOT either.
G
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
