Security wheel nut removal (sans key)

Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight

User avatar
bingdevo
Posts:7
Joined:Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 pm
Location:York
Security wheel nut removal (sans key)

Postby bingdevo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Should anyone find themselves in the situation where they need to remove a wheel without having the requisite security nut key, then a suitable (and reusable) tool can be fashioned quite easilly using a 24mm 16 point socket (I used a Halfords 1/2" drive one bought individually some time in the past) and 15 minutes with a die grinder with carbide burr (filing by hand will take significantly longer).

The tool is made by simply removing individual splines from the socket so as to provide the necessary clearance to fit over the security nut. The splines need to be removed in their entirety so that the tool will completely cover the nut and so engage at the base. The end of the nut is free to rotate independently (albeit stiffly) and so complete engagement on the nut is required to effect removal.

I found this out the hard way this week, after buying a very tidy 3.0 Sovereign Estate to serve as family bus duties, we had the misfortune of suffering a puncture at the end of our 'shakedown' trip to Cornwall. It was noted at the time of sale that the security nut tool was missing and I was going through the motions of getting a replacement with thoughts of the next service. It wasn't at the top of my list of things to fail in the first fortnight (and 5 miles from home!) but I believe an Irishman had something to say on the matter.
1992 XJS 4.0 Manual Coupe, affectionately known as Hazel

User avatar
steveisleofwight

Moderator
Posts:50
Joined:Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:00 pm
Location:Isle of Wight
Contact:

Re: Security wheel nut removal (sans key)

Postby steveisleofwight » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 am

Hi, thanks for the info.

Had a similar situation a few years ago and went to a Jag dealer to order a new wheel nut key only to be told that they no longer would sell me a new key but would sell me a new set of locking wheel nuts with a new key! Decided instead to buy four new standard wheel nuts at a third of the price. I then asked if I could 'borrow' the workshop's security key to remove the locking wheel nuts on the vehicle or if one of the mechanics could do it for me. I was pointed in the direction of service reception where the girl on duty said this would be no problem but then started to book it in as a job - I soon called a halt to this when she informed me that removing four wheel nuts was going to be booked in as 45 minute job!

Managed to get the locking nuts off in a similar fashion as you described and never bothered with them since!

Cheers, Steve


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests