Page 1 of 1

Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 pm
by xjscharlie
Hello Folks,
My rear LH tyre on my 3.0L AWD is wearing excessively on the inside edge. I suspect the wheel is towing out and it looks as tho its slightly off the vertical. Wondered if anyone had encountered this and what the problem turned out to be.
Just trying to identify the most likely cause before stripping it down. Thanx in anticipation..Charlie.

Re: Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm
by Astromorg
The usual suspect is the lower forward arm. Worn bushes allow the lower part of the suspension to move outwards, causing the camber problem. Toe on the rear suspension is adjustable but it can't compensate for worn bushes. Check the condition of all the bushes of the various rear suspension links as you're wasting money if you get it aligned with any significant wear in the set-up.

Be careful in buying replacement parts for the X type suspension, both front and rear. Mondeo parts are NOT interchangeable with the Jaguar ones and many online offerings claim to be suitable for Jaguar, but the claim is based on the many urban myths of the X type being a Mondeo clone. They share a basic design, but not many absolute dimensions.

Re: Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 pm
by steve_m
I believe that Volvo upper banana arms will fit and are adjustable; I hope so as I have a pair but haven't got around to fitting them yet.
My rear tyres went down to the canvas in 16 months.

Re: Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:29 pm
by Astromorg
It is true that the adjustable Volvo upper forward arms will fit, albeit I recall a locknut has to be omitted (!). My concern would be using an adjustable upper arm to correct a symptom caused by an incorrect lower arm!

I appreciate that cost is an important element in these decisions and Dealer prices can be prohibitive, but independent Jaguar suppliers like SNG Barratt are usually able to supply both Jaguar OEM parts and cheaper, but still dimensionally correct alternatives. Barratts also give JEC members a 5%(?) discount. I have no connections to SNG B other than as a satisfied customer.

Re: Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm
by xjscharlie
Many thanx for the prompt replies. Rgds.