Hi good morning
I have a 2.2d and the fuel cap release mechanism is
Broken.
Is it any easy fix ?
Any advice would be appreciated
Regards
Gavin
Fuel cap release
Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight
Re: Fuel cap release
This is a fairly simple mechanism, the biggest problem being access. If you need to fit a new bowden cable - like a bike brake cable - you have to fold back the carpet around the operating lever by the driver's seat . The lever mechanism can then be removed - two screws - and the cable itself disconnected from it. To follow its route through to the filler cap requires removal of the rear seat - awkward! - and the trim panel on the righthand side of the boot. The cable then disconnects from the plunger by turning it clockwise.
In what way does the mechanism seem broken? Looking at your photo, it may be that the problem is really only one of gunge. That area ought too look like this
The square black plunger should pull back when the lever is pulled and then the leaf spring arrangement should push the door open. It should also depress easily with finger pressure. You could try a good clean up and some lubricant that might just help you out of a longer job!
In what way does the mechanism seem broken? Looking at your photo, it may be that the problem is really only one of gunge. That area ought too look like this
The square black plunger should pull back when the lever is pulled and then the leaf spring arrangement should push the door open. It should also depress easily with finger pressure. You could try a good clean up and some lubricant that might just help you out of a longer job!
Last edited by Astromorg on Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2024 XE 300 Sport
2024 XE 300 Sport
-
Dave Eynon

- Posts:166
- Joined:Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:38 pm
Re: Fuel cap release
Hi Gavin,
If the sound advice from Astromorg doesn't solve the problem then replacement is time consuming but not too onerous. I had to replace mine on my estate which had completely seized. I did a write up in one of my magazine articles. I didn't remove the seat but used the old cable to pull a length of cord through which I then pulled the new one in with. New cables are still available from Jaguar and SNG.
Dave
If the sound advice from Astromorg doesn't solve the problem then replacement is time consuming but not too onerous. I had to replace mine on my estate which had completely seized. I did a write up in one of my magazine articles. I didn't remove the seat but used the old cable to pull a length of cord through which I then pulled the new one in with. New cables are still available from Jaguar and SNG.
Dave
Dave E
Gwynedd. N Wales.
X-type 2.5 Estate
XK8 Coupe
XJ 4.2 S1
Daimler 2.5 V8
Gwynedd. N Wales.
X-type 2.5 Estate
XK8 Coupe
XJ 4.2 S1
Daimler 2.5 V8
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
