Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight

alshapton
Posts:4
Joined:Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm
Location:Swansea
Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Postby alshapton » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi all -

I'm trying to source a gear stick gaiter for my X-Type (manual shift). According to my local Jaguar specialist, there is a common fault in that they split at the 12 o'clock position. He ordered a replacement but the surround was the wrong colour and he was told that since Jaguar stopped producing the X-Type, they only produce spares in one colour now - unfortunately NOT the colour of my car !

Does anyone know where I can get one ? The trim code of the car is LJE which translates to "Stone" - its a light-grey colour.

Thanks

Andrew
==========================
Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D 2005 Blue
==========================

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:30 pm

If you can source a new or good used gaiter of virtually any colour, there is no reason why it cannot be re dyed in the colour of your choice.

I recently re dyed a tatty seat of seats for my car. The result was excellent and only took a couple of hours to do. Furniture Clinic supplied the dye and finish kit. Here is a link to their site. You will find LJE is listed in their standard range of colours.

http://furnitureclinic.co.uk/Jaguar_Lea ... _Chart.php

One piece of advice with the dye. It does just that. Failure to wear rubber gloves during the dye stage might give you the most peculiar coloured fingers. Although water based, the dye really does stick to skin!

If you look in the magazine S-type Forum pages of around a year ago, you will see I wrote a stage by stage account of how I tackled my seat re dye job. Certainly not difficult at all.

Hope this helps.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

alshapton
Posts:4
Joined:Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm
Location:Swansea

Re: Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Postby alshapton » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks Mike - does this mean that I can dye the plasticy surround? the gear gaiter leather is the correct colour ie black - its the surround that is the wrong colour.

Andrew
==========================
Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D 2005 Blue
==========================

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Re: Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:10 pm

I`ll pass on a direct answer on that tonight.

What I can do tomorrow is try some dye on a well cleaned piece of plastic car trim, and see what adhesion qualities the dye has. Primarily it will be formulated for leather rather than plastic.

Otherwise, some decent quality suitable plastic paint might be an answer.

Have you tried Eurojag for a spare part? Contact details in our magazine. Why not give them a call. They supply to quality secondhand parts from accident damaged cars at affordable prices. You might just be lucky and get the part in LJE.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

alshapton
Posts:4
Joined:Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:06 pm
Location:Swansea

Re: Replacement Gear Stick Gaiter

Postby alshapton » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks Mike - more helpful that I could have imagined !

I'll try EuroJag tomorrow

Night night !!!!
==========================
Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D 2005 Blue
==========================


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests