Handbrake "squeak" and excessive handbrake travel?
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:41 pm
Hello, I hope you can help a newish owner of a 2009 X Type Sovereign estate?
I bought this model in Chilli Red and I love driving it!!
Currently I can hear a "squeak" from the (it seems) the nearside rear when going over any bumps. I realised when I apply the handbrake slightly when driving the squeaking stops, without fail. The rear pads have been replaced but the sueaking persists...
ANY advise with this will be MOST welcome.
Also, our drive is on a slope and I need to put the handbrake on what must be it's full extent. I counted the "clicks" and I counted eleven in total, if this makes sense!! Any less and the car will start to move by itself, not desirable!
I have a Haynes manual but I don't know if the handbrake is a manual adjustment or automatic, not having done this work before it would be nice to know. To finish I would add that a mechanic has looked at the handbrake and said that it's OK but I do feel that something could be done but not sure, hence my questions!
I would like to add that "he" is called Teddy as there seems to be a few smiling faces in the walnut veneer!!
Any advise would be great, thank you!!!
I bought this model in Chilli Red and I love driving it!!
Currently I can hear a "squeak" from the (it seems) the nearside rear when going over any bumps. I realised when I apply the handbrake slightly when driving the squeaking stops, without fail. The rear pads have been replaced but the sueaking persists...
ANY advise with this will be MOST welcome.
Also, our drive is on a slope and I need to put the handbrake on what must be it's full extent. I counted the "clicks" and I counted eleven in total, if this makes sense!! Any less and the car will start to move by itself, not desirable!
I have a Haynes manual but I don't know if the handbrake is a manual adjustment or automatic, not having done this work before it would be nice to know. To finish I would add that a mechanic has looked at the handbrake and said that it's OK but I do feel that something could be done but not sure, hence my questions!
I would like to add that "he" is called Teddy as there seems to be a few smiling faces in the walnut veneer!!
Any advise would be great, thank you!!!