TRANSFER BOX OIL CHANGE

Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders
TRANSFER BOX OIL CHANGE

Postby robv12 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:46 pm

elsewhere on the forum I have eluded to X Type transfer boxes as fitted to all 4 x 4 X Types, they fail, if yours hasn't it likely will before 120K miles

I've broken two!!

Problem is there is no way to check or top up the oil, and changing it is difficult at best, I have seem some so called dodges to get around it. Transfer box replacement can also be time consuming and tricky for the d.i.y.er

I got Dave Marks to do my last one, four of us on the job, I truth I was surplus to the team so took some pictures

There is a tiny amount of oil in these units, David tells me that all the ones they do, no oil ever come out!!, but the recommended amount always goes back in

so the procedure is to get the car on a ramp, then jack up one side of the car until it a very precise height sill to floor up in the air, around half a meter from memory

then if you are brave from under the car remove the refill/drain plug, and add 650ml (again from memory) of oil , or until it runs out I guess, clean, replace plug, and then with your two assistants gently lower the car back to the level, lower the ramp and test drive

this took 5 minutes to slowly get the oil in, but a good 45 minutes to get the car SAFLY in the right position, David has a specially adapted ramp with safety bars, bolts and chocks to stop the car sliding off sideways

pics are in reverse order due to my incompetence, but you will get the idea
Attachments
x type transfer box 017.JPG
x type transfer box 016.JPG
x type transfer box 014.JPG
x type transfer box 012.JPG
x type transfer box 006.JPG
x type transfer box 007.JPG
x type transfer box 009.JPG
x type transfer box 008.JPG
x type transfer box 003.JPG
x type transfer box 002.JPG
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest