manual gearbox problem
Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight
iI have recently purchased a 52 plate 2.1 x type with 56000 miles showing,the last couple of days Ihave been finding it difficult to engage 1st and reverse gears when engine is cold,has anyone experienced this problem,it's a 5 speed manual
Re: manual gearbox problem
Regret to say that I have heard of this problem. It sounds as if your clutch is on the way out. The X-type and Mondeo are blood brothers and use the same power and running gear.
My pal runs a fleet of diesel TDCi Mondeo`s as taxis. 23 of them in fact and runs his own repair facility to keep them all going. This advice is what I know about the diesel and wonder of your car may have a similar clutch and flywheel fitted. You will need to check that.
My friend tells me that the original fit dual mass flywheel and clutch assembly are a nightmare. He now no longer fits original clutch and flywheel components.
I`m told that the problem starts when the clutch wears out. The clutch will not disengage correctly and therefore gears are difficult to select. In the normal run of things a simple clutch change would cure the problem.
Unfortunately, the dual mass flywheel has a tenancy to break up. In doing so, as I understand it, bolt tails can hit some of the engine internal structure and the metal dust generated and clutch material find there way into the starter motor causing eventual failure. In one extreme case part of the clutch broke off and smashed its way through the gearbox.
My friend says the answer is relatively easy. He fits a Valeo clutch kit which has an alternative internal slave cylinder AND a solid conventional flywheel. Once fitted, my friend has no further problems with cars on his fleet.
The kit is manufactured by Valeo. Eurocarparts list the product on their web site. Otherwise why not call them. When I last looked at the kit, it was a very reasonable £270 which remember includes a new solid flywheel.
As far as I can tell, this kit should be suitable for an X-type but please check with a supplier before ordering. Have your VIN number to hand if you call.
Mike K. S-type Forum
My pal runs a fleet of diesel TDCi Mondeo`s as taxis. 23 of them in fact and runs his own repair facility to keep them all going. This advice is what I know about the diesel and wonder of your car may have a similar clutch and flywheel fitted. You will need to check that.
My friend tells me that the original fit dual mass flywheel and clutch assembly are a nightmare. He now no longer fits original clutch and flywheel components.
I`m told that the problem starts when the clutch wears out. The clutch will not disengage correctly and therefore gears are difficult to select. In the normal run of things a simple clutch change would cure the problem.
Unfortunately, the dual mass flywheel has a tenancy to break up. In doing so, as I understand it, bolt tails can hit some of the engine internal structure and the metal dust generated and clutch material find there way into the starter motor causing eventual failure. In one extreme case part of the clutch broke off and smashed its way through the gearbox.
My friend says the answer is relatively easy. He fits a Valeo clutch kit which has an alternative internal slave cylinder AND a solid conventional flywheel. Once fitted, my friend has no further problems with cars on his fleet.
The kit is manufactured by Valeo. Eurocarparts list the product on their web site. Otherwise why not call them. When I last looked at the kit, it was a very reasonable £270 which remember includes a new solid flywheel.
As far as I can tell, this kit should be suitable for an X-type but please check with a supplier before ordering. Have your VIN number to hand if you call.
Mike K. S-type Forum
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: manual gearbox problem
Hi Mike,
Just saw this post and have searched eurocarparts for the Valeo clutch kit. Any chance you got the part number?
Thanks
Steve
Just saw this post and have searched eurocarparts for the Valeo clutch kit. Any chance you got the part number?
Thanks
Steve
Re: manual gearbox problem
My post on this matter is now some years old.
However, I suspect Eurocar Parts may still stock this kit so I would suggest a quick phone call direct to them to find out the latest situation.
Mike
However, I suspect Eurocar Parts may still stock this kit so I would suggest a quick phone call direct to them to find out the latest situation.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
