X type checks before buying

Moderators:Dave Eynon, steveisleofwight

lpgjag
Posts:28
Joined:Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 am
X type checks before buying

Postby lpgjag » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi,

My son is contemplating the purchase of a 2005/6 X type, can anyone advise of particular areas he should get checked out prior to purchase? I drive the XK, and unfortunately dont have experience of this model, thanks in advance for any assistance give,

Regards

Steve

User avatar
almcl

Member
Posts:775
Joined:Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 pm
Location:Shropshire

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby almcl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:23 am

There was some talk about rusting sills on X-types on another board a while back. I think the model in question was a bit earlier than 05/06 but the pictures were pretty frightening.

The full thread is here:
http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 1313252614
Attachments
Rusty_sills.jpg
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake

lpgjag
Posts:28
Joined:Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 am

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby lpgjag » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi AlMcL
Thanks for this- frightening reading, I hope the latter ones are not the same!

Steve

User avatar
almcl

Member
Posts:775
Joined:Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:56 pm
Location:Shropshire

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby almcl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

Well, my wife's '05 estate doesn't seem that bad, so a nice 55/06 should be OK, I think?
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '20 XF 2.0 Sportbrake

User avatar
PaulRidley
Posts:37
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm
Location:Powys

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby PaulRidley » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am

The "Rusty" one in that article really is an early one ( Feb '01 build? ) and I do understand this isn't an uncommon problem on these cars, but it was soon sorted under the continuous development program.

My '03 has had a very hard life, but it's not rusty! I would recommend removing the side skirts though as mine were choc full of debris...


Image
Paul Ridley

FOR SALE...

LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport

lpgjag
Posts:28
Joined:Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:04 am

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby lpgjag » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the advice, I take it removal of the skirt cover is as simple as in the article just taking out the plastic clips holding the cover in place?

Regards

Steve

User avatar
PaulRidley
Posts:37
Joined:Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:01 pm
Location:Powys

Re: X type checks before buying

Postby PaulRidley » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, I take it removal of the skirt cover is as simple as in the article just taking out the plastic clips holding the cover in place?
Yes, that's right.

I would buy some replacement clips first though as you can expect them to break when you remove the trim - they are about 15p each.

Paul
Paul Ridley

FOR SALE...

LL03 VAA
Merseyside Police Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 AWD Sport


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests