I am ready to take out my subframe and have bought an engine support beam with chains etc. I know I can support the engine from underneath afterwards by putting a block of wood under the sump and I will have to do this so I can close the bonnet as the car is on the drive. However, I am not sure where to attach the chains on the engine when using the support beam. Can I cradle the engine so to speak or do I need to hire the brackets (H- 18G1465) from Ken Jenkins? Any advice or pics showing how it's done and where the chains go would be greatly appreciated. I know it can be done by being supported from underneath from start to finish but I am not quite confident enough for that.
Thanks Tim
Supporting the engine for subframe removal
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Last edited by timedwards on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
Re: Supportig the engine for subframe removal
Tim,
As you say, there are a number of ways that you could support the engine. However, to minimise the effort by which you can remove and refit the subframe, I wouldn't try and support it from underneath. Also, with the amount of ancillaries that are attached to the AJ16, I would be nervous about using anything other than the top plates that can be fitted. You want to make it as easy as possible to drop the engine back to its mounts. Just my opinion.
Good luck
Paul
As you say, there are a number of ways that you could support the engine. However, to minimise the effort by which you can remove and refit the subframe, I wouldn't try and support it from underneath. Also, with the amount of ancillaries that are attached to the AJ16, I would be nervous about using anything other than the top plates that can be fitted. You want to make it as easy as possible to drop the engine back to its mounts. Just my opinion.
Good luck
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: Supportig the engine for subframe removal
Thanks for the advice- I am trying to explore all ways to approach this before deciding which way to go. So if anybody else has other ways to approach it please chip in.
So here is my next question: Can I buy a couple of ring nuts and screw them onto the bolts because I know companies sell these for lifting jobs. Will this work or do I really need the official brackets so it balances right? I have not measured the bolts in question so don't know if they are M12 or whatever but presume the right diameter ring nut would take the weight of the engine since it's aluminium and so not too heavy?
Thanks Tim
So here is my next question: Can I buy a couple of ring nuts and screw them onto the bolts because I know companies sell these for lifting jobs. Will this work or do I really need the official brackets so it balances right? I have not measured the bolts in question so don't know if they are M12 or whatever but presume the right diameter ring nut would take the weight of the engine since it's aluminium and so not too heavy?
Thanks Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
Re: Supportig the engine for subframe removal
Hi Tim,
There is some second hand brackets available on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-JAGUAR-LAN ... SwezVWzIxq
This link (fleabay) shows some from America, but pictures show you where they are attached to engine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJS-XJ ... Sw-jhUHiCN
I wouldn't recommend screwing rings into the head - you don't know if they can take the load.
I've attached a picture to show you what the bracket looks like.
There is some second hand brackets available on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/06-JAGUAR-LAN ... SwezVWzIxq
This link (fleabay) shows some from America, but pictures show you where they are attached to engine:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-XJS-XJ ... Sw-jhUHiCN
I wouldn't recommend screwing rings into the head - you don't know if they can take the load.
I've attached a picture to show you what the bracket looks like.
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: Supportig the engine for subframe removal
In the end I saw a thread on the JagLovers site where the front subframe was removed on an Xj40 with use of an engine support beam and tow-rope. I did the same. below are some pics for interest.
My wife is exactly 5' tall and so this gives you an idea of how high the car had to be raised on axle stands so the subframe could be rolled out on the trolley after being lowered. N.B. the axle stands were placed under the chassis rails not the jacking points due to corrosion issues and the chassis rails being safer generally. I don't like crawling under a car on axle stands so I have two stacked wheels under the car/sills as a back up thus helping me to minimise the use of valium!
My two helpers appreciating the gravity of the situation! Because the car was outside the bonnet had to be removed and plastic sheeting placed over the engine with the car cover over the top to keep the rain out.
The job looking down.
My wife is exactly 5' tall and so this gives you an idea of how high the car had to be raised on axle stands so the subframe could be rolled out on the trolley after being lowered. N.B. the axle stands were placed under the chassis rails not the jacking points due to corrosion issues and the chassis rails being safer generally. I don't like crawling under a car on axle stands so I have two stacked wheels under the car/sills as a back up thus helping me to minimise the use of valium!
My two helpers appreciating the gravity of the situation! Because the car was outside the bonnet had to be removed and plastic sheeting placed over the engine with the car cover over the top to keep the rain out.
The job looking down.
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: Supportig the engine for subframe removal
The arrow shows where the tow rope was positioned. Due to two pipes running along the lower side of the sump I used a small piece of timber to prevent the tow rope from pressing against them.
With the subframe unbolted, lowered and rolled out it was time for a cuppa before the work ahead in stripping it all down.
Of course the other way to do this is to buy a car with good documented service history!
With the subframe unbolted, lowered and rolled out it was time for a cuppa before the work ahead in stripping it all down.
Of course the other way to do this is to buy a car with good documented service history!
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

