Very nice indeed, Al.
That`s a"Popper Job"!
Mike
hydraulic presses
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: hydraulic presses
I was required to press the flanges off new ranges of water pumps to examine the seal quality and type. My heart used to sink when these events took place cos it always frightened me to death. I was always in fear of something shattering to the extent I considered obtaining an old mattress to hide behind - but never did. Pleased to say nothing ever shattered either.
However , our offices were above the workshop, Mikes comment reminded me that when the flange eventually gave way it was followed by an enormous bang and clatter as all the bits fell on the floor. It certainly woke everybody up upstairs.
oldtimer
However , our offices were above the workshop, Mikes comment reminded me that when the flange eventually gave way it was followed by an enormous bang and clatter as all the bits fell on the floor. It certainly woke everybody up upstairs.
oldtimer
Re: hydraulic presses
Really interesting work there pop I bet, I love to old railways - the smell of the steam and coal cant't beat it. As far as I am concerned post
some more photos.
some more photos.
Phil
4.2 XK8 2004
4.2 XK8 2004
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: hydraulic presses
Just thought I would post a few pics of how I got on with my press. Thanks for all the advice. It was money well spent and just the job and made easy work of it all. I could have done with an extra pair of hands with the subframe but with a bit of help from an old Safeway basket it all came right in the end
Using a large socket to stabilise the wobbly wishbone
First one in to my relief and satisfaction
subframe bushes were well past 'sell by date'
Using a large socket to stabilise the wobbly wishbone
First one in to my relief and satisfaction
subframe bushes were well past 'sell by date'
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: hydraulic presses
Using the old bush to press the new one in. Note I ruined this bush on the first attempt as I pressed it onto the metal plate underneath! Expensive lesson learned so used the two plates that came with the press on the second attempt!
Don't see many of these old Safeway baskets now eh - or not used for this anyway!
Both bushes in at last.
All of the bushes are now replaced with the subframe treated and painted up BUT since I sheared off a balljoint retaining bolt I need to sort this before I can get the springs back in. Currently painting up the underside of the car so this lot will go back in before too long with a bit of luck.
Tim
Don't see many of these old Safeway baskets now eh - or not used for this anyway!
Both bushes in at last.
All of the bushes are now replaced with the subframe treated and painted up BUT since I sheared off a balljoint retaining bolt I need to sort this before I can get the springs back in. Currently painting up the underside of the car so this lot will go back in before too long with a bit of luck.
Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: hydraulic presses
excellent , well done for getting stuck in , its what we are all about
BB
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: hydraulic presses
Pioneering stuff. Brute force times the square root of ignorance. Enough to make you weep with pleasure!
Well done. Welcome to the Press Club section of the JEC.
Mike
Well done. Welcome to the Press Club section of the JEC.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
- timedwards
- Posts:95
- Joined:Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:02 pm
- Location:Dudley, West Midlands
Re: hydraulic presses
Thanks guys - Slow but steady progress and all the fun of the fayre
P.S. Mike now I know u r a dab hand at the old spray painting I may come back to you for some advice in a while as I think that is one area that could save me some serious money if I can do a half decent job without making my car look like a patchwork quilt! I did have a go on some scratches a while back (touch up) on my main car but even with the paint code the colours are different due to fading I suppose. Another thread maybe?
Cheers Tim
P.S. Mike now I know u r a dab hand at the old spray painting I may come back to you for some advice in a while as I think that is one area that could save me some serious money if I can do a half decent job without making my car look like a patchwork quilt! I did have a go on some scratches a while back (touch up) on my main car but even with the paint code the colours are different due to fading I suppose. Another thread maybe?
Cheers Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!
Re: hydraulic presses
Tack onto this thread, Tim. It seems an appropriate thread to discuss paint repairs.viewtopic.php?f=292&t=11382
If you post a few images, then I might be able to better advise.
Mike
If you post a few images, then I might be able to better advise.
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
