Page 1 of 1

Engine Diagnostics

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 am
by sinclairkbm
If anyone wants a diagnostics check up on their car, let me know.

I have a scan tool which works on my X300 (Daimler Six) N reg. I found out the oxygen sensor (sometimes also incorrectly called the lambda sensor) heater element was not working. I replaced the oxygen sensor (again!) now all is well!

Note that NO codes were raised by the ECU for this fault, and NO engine light came on!

Anyway, I am in north London (Finchley). I am not charging for this as I am an enthusiast!! I think only X300s would work as I am not aware there is a diagnostics socket on the XJ40's?

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:33 pm
by robv12
XJ40 does not have the same diagnostics as 300, 40's use a cruder and simpler system the post is in the boot

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:16 pm
by sinclairkbm
Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. Would the XJ40 system be the same for the XJ-S (pre facelift 1991 3.6 L)? Do you know anything about the communications protocols?

"the post is in the boot" - did you mean port???

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:47 pm
by robv12
yes i did mean port and not post, big fingers and point and peck keyboard skills sorry!!!

can't comment on pre 91 XJS but pre 92 model year 40's don't have diagnostics as far as I am aware

Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm
by sinclairkbm
I am hoping that someone with an X300 will be inquisitive enough to want to find out what is going on with their electronic fuel system. I have some experiences and I am concerned not much is understood about these.

Re: Engine Diagnostics

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:59 pm
by malclamour
XJ6 1993 3.2.....Would not start Christmas evening 17 miles from home, parked in son's car park and contacted AA who could not help but stated was probably "Fuel pump". as was only on Roadside cover...Phoned Sturgess Jaguar Leicester...They are arranging transport quote £70......Diagnostic check £89.....and will contact me with estimate today 28th Dec. AA man said fuel pump is in petrol tank....Happy New year to all....Malcolm