I haven't yet converted any of my 4 xj40's to LPG, but I do have a Range Rover, Rolls Royce Silver Shadow and a Rover Metro converted to LPG.
The Range Rover runs HORRIBLY on its single injection point conversion, with MASSIVE backfires like a shotgun at times. The Rolls Rocye works ok on LPG, lot more sluggish than petrol though, but great cost saving. It's a carb engine, & therefore a simpler conversion.
The lil' Metro loves the LPG!! Ridiculously cheap to run, fires up on gas no problem. The petrol tank filler pipe was rotten on the metro so rather than mess around with something I wasn't using, I chucked the petrol tank and filler pipe away so the car is incapable of using petrol now; again this was a carb engine - simple conversion.
Considering my bad experience witht the Range Rover and friends with similar "older conversion kit" problems, I would recommend go for the most modern multipoint injection system you can afford. Weigh up the installation cost against your fuel saving and how much you will use your beloved motor. There are specialist LPG fitters for Jags in the club magazine which has got to be a relatively more succesful option than a local mechanic who's done "one or two" conversions using cheaper & older kits.
- now wheres that calor gas cylinder and watering can rose I had lying around.....
Kev
LPG woes and yays!
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Hi Kev
I have a Bedini single point on my 3.2 Sovereign, it will start on lpg even in winter and I hardly use petrol, no backfiring and runs very smooth apart from slight rough tick over at lights or any junction, same on petrol. Down to the mpg around town I get from 14-16 lpg on the motorway 27 ish on lpg. The car has done 138450 miles with plenty more to come (I hope).
I was interested to see you have taken the fuel tank out of your metro, how did it go on at MOT time?? I am thinking of taking the fuel tank out of the X300 as fuel pipes are corroded, not leaking but corroded, Just wondered how that would fit with the MOT.
Regards
Pete
I have a Bedini single point on my 3.2 Sovereign, it will start on lpg even in winter and I hardly use petrol, no backfiring and runs very smooth apart from slight rough tick over at lights or any junction, same on petrol. Down to the mpg around town I get from 14-16 lpg on the motorway 27 ish on lpg. The car has done 138450 miles with plenty more to come (I hope).
I was interested to see you have taken the fuel tank out of your metro, how did it go on at MOT time?? I am thinking of taking the fuel tank out of the X300 as fuel pipes are corroded, not leaking but corroded, Just wondered how that would fit with the MOT.
Regards
Pete
Re: LPG woes and yays!
as I understand removal of the tank causes no issue at mot time, mot checks will look at tank integity for leaks, the same will apply to filler cap and fuel lines, if they are there they have to be good, but there is no stipulation for them to be there, unlike, horns, lights, wipers, seat belts etc
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Just given 'Red' a new set of wheels and tyres. Also done an LPG conversion on 'him' using a Stag fully sequential system and tank in spare wheel well. Runs like a dream but waiting to see what he does MPG wise (as it's his first 'full' tank of gas!!).
Tried to make the conversion as neat as possible.
Some pictures can be found at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xa4n8alv0221 ... 7v_0a?dl=0
Steve.
Tried to make the conversion as neat as possible.
Some pictures can be found at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xa4n8alv0221 ... 7v_0a?dl=0
Steve.
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Hi,
Good to see an LPG post on the forum board.
I have a 2002 3.2 X308 SE that i purchased 3 years ago ready converted. I am very pleased overall with the conversion and performance but do get the check engine light come on when on lpg, especially more so in the winter,well every one tells me its the LPG that is causing it? (It will clear after running on petrol for a period of time)
My experience(in my local area) is that there is a distinct lack of garages that understand or will service an lpg installation. I asked my "local"main dealers, who have been very good when i needed help with other problems, if they could service the lpg system as well as petrol? They replied "I've never been asked that before and would not like to comment until ive spoken to our technical department" Fair comment as it was the receptionist who phoned me as a follow up to previous work and condition inspection carried out by them. I've not heard back so i guess the answer is no.
It would be good if there was an article from one of the club experts or even an advertiser in the magazine on what is required for servicing an LPG system. Correct me if there is such a past article.
I understand lpg can be a dirty supplied fuel even though it produces "cleaner" emissions. Therefore our systems must have filters fitted that need cleaning/replacement?
My system has a Romano vaporizer fitted but i understand this was a replacement for another make that went faulty(diaphram split). I agreed to the (more expensive) Romano conversion at the time for reliability. The rest of the system has been reliable and the conversion is neat, only the vaporizer and some pipework is visible. The tank is 89 litre cap and located in the spare wheel well. Range on a run(proven on a trip to pick up son from uni) is 300 miles but on a practical day to day use, around 230-250. |It gives plenty of warning when running out and will change back to petrol if it does so. I manage to squeeze in approx 60 litres into a near empty tank, allowing for the expansion element. The filler is a little awkward being situated under the rear valance but i manage. Apparently the original conversion speculated it was not to be visible?
Although many will frown on a lpg intrusion to a jag( hence i guess the previous owners instruction re the filler) This has enabled me in retirement to continue running a luxury beautiful vehicle as my daily runner, and long may it continue.( now for those tensioners!!!!!!)
Sorry to ramble on and(be on the wrong model forum) but its rare we get lpg mentioned and the moment ran away with me.
Regards
Rod
Good to see an LPG post on the forum board.
I have a 2002 3.2 X308 SE that i purchased 3 years ago ready converted. I am very pleased overall with the conversion and performance but do get the check engine light come on when on lpg, especially more so in the winter,well every one tells me its the LPG that is causing it? (It will clear after running on petrol for a period of time)
My experience(in my local area) is that there is a distinct lack of garages that understand or will service an lpg installation. I asked my "local"main dealers, who have been very good when i needed help with other problems, if they could service the lpg system as well as petrol? They replied "I've never been asked that before and would not like to comment until ive spoken to our technical department" Fair comment as it was the receptionist who phoned me as a follow up to previous work and condition inspection carried out by them. I've not heard back so i guess the answer is no.
It would be good if there was an article from one of the club experts or even an advertiser in the magazine on what is required for servicing an LPG system. Correct me if there is such a past article.
I understand lpg can be a dirty supplied fuel even though it produces "cleaner" emissions. Therefore our systems must have filters fitted that need cleaning/replacement?
My system has a Romano vaporizer fitted but i understand this was a replacement for another make that went faulty(diaphram split). I agreed to the (more expensive) Romano conversion at the time for reliability. The rest of the system has been reliable and the conversion is neat, only the vaporizer and some pipework is visible. The tank is 89 litre cap and located in the spare wheel well. Range on a run(proven on a trip to pick up son from uni) is 300 miles but on a practical day to day use, around 230-250. |It gives plenty of warning when running out and will change back to petrol if it does so. I manage to squeeze in approx 60 litres into a near empty tank, allowing for the expansion element. The filler is a little awkward being situated under the rear valance but i manage. Apparently the original conversion speculated it was not to be visible?
Although many will frown on a lpg intrusion to a jag( hence i guess the previous owners instruction re the filler) This has enabled me in retirement to continue running a luxury beautiful vehicle as my daily runner, and long may it continue.( now for those tensioners!!!!!!)
Sorry to ramble on and(be on the wrong model forum) but its rare we get lpg mentioned and the moment ran away with me.
Regards
Rod
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Keith Mugglestone is known within the JEC for his gas conversion work. Several articles have appeared in the past detailing his work.
Gas is a much "drier" fuel than petrol and does not have the lubricating qualities for the valve gear that petrol affords. Often a plastic oiling bottle features on a gas installed installation to help with keeping valves lubed up. It is worth asking any installers or servicing guys about the issue. At one time gas was not considered to be suitable for the V8 but I believe that was in the Nikasil days before the bores were steel lined.
Checking that secondary tensioners have been changed to the fourth generation ali parts is essential on either gas or V8 4 litre petrol cars. Regrettably the early plastic tensioners crack, then if left long enough, simply break. The remains end up in the sump and such failure will almost certainly require a full top end engine rebuild or a secondhand complete replacement motor which would probably be the cheaper option. The phasing of camshaft lobes is not even, ie the lobes are not equally spaced and this causes a stress reversal back and forth along the secondary drive chains which will eventually cause the tensioner bodies to break, the slipper plates to part company with their mountings and the plastic opposite ends to be smashed in. My 4 litre V8 tensioners were on the road to failure at just 44k miles. A pair of ali tensioners are around £100 to buy, so getting the job done should not be too expensive. About 4hrs labour is needed. Also buy the revised mounting bolts which are a different length to those found on cars with original tensioners fitted. See X308, XK8 and S-type Bulletin Boards for more gen on the subject.
Those owning V8 4.2 litre cars need not worry about these tensioner issues. The ali tensioner modification was done from new at the factory.
Mike K
Gas is a much "drier" fuel than petrol and does not have the lubricating qualities for the valve gear that petrol affords. Often a plastic oiling bottle features on a gas installed installation to help with keeping valves lubed up. It is worth asking any installers or servicing guys about the issue. At one time gas was not considered to be suitable for the V8 but I believe that was in the Nikasil days before the bores were steel lined.
Checking that secondary tensioners have been changed to the fourth generation ali parts is essential on either gas or V8 4 litre petrol cars. Regrettably the early plastic tensioners crack, then if left long enough, simply break. The remains end up in the sump and such failure will almost certainly require a full top end engine rebuild or a secondhand complete replacement motor which would probably be the cheaper option. The phasing of camshaft lobes is not even, ie the lobes are not equally spaced and this causes a stress reversal back and forth along the secondary drive chains which will eventually cause the tensioner bodies to break, the slipper plates to part company with their mountings and the plastic opposite ends to be smashed in. My 4 litre V8 tensioners were on the road to failure at just 44k miles. A pair of ali tensioners are around £100 to buy, so getting the job done should not be too expensive. About 4hrs labour is needed. Also buy the revised mounting bolts which are a different length to those found on cars with original tensioners fitted. See X308, XK8 and S-type Bulletin Boards for more gen on the subject.
Those owning V8 4.2 litre cars need not worry about these tensioner issues. The ali tensioner modification was done from new at the factory.
Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator
2004 XJR
2004 XJR
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Interesting comments regarding gas and its effect on valve gear Mike, thanks for that i'll look into it.
Not to hijack this thread but Tensioners will be done i have been threatening it for some time now
Top tensioners i am happy to do, Full set, well thats a lot more work and i've been told i am looking at a couple of grand at a garage? More than the cars worth?
Rod
Not to hijack this thread but Tensioners will be done i have been threatening it for some time now
Top tensioners i am happy to do, Full set, well thats a lot more work and i've been told i am looking at a couple of grand at a garage? More than the cars worth?
Rod
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Rod,
Your profile doesn't say where you are, but a good independent Jaguar specialist will do top and bottom tensioners (which you should do) for quite a bit less than an couple of grand.
Paul
Your profile doesn't say where you are, but a good independent Jaguar specialist will do top and bottom tensioners (which you should do) for quite a bit less than an couple of grand.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
Re: LPG woes and yays!
Hello Paul,
I agree on Full tensioner and chain replacement as on 97000 now, I've priced majority of parts to be about £565 inc water pump and thermostat tower change and tool hire from club. Just up to me now to get stuck in(after Christmas).
Rod
I agree on Full tensioner and chain replacement as on 97000 now, I've priced majority of parts to be about £565 inc water pump and thermostat tower change and tool hire from club. Just up to me now to get stuck in(after Christmas).
Rod
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

