Rusty inner wings

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

User avatar
xjr41
Posts:9
Joined:Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm
Location:SWINDON, WILTSHIRE
Contact:
Rusty inner wings

Postby xjr41 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi,

I have a manual XJR XJ40 with some rust holes in the inner wings.
Can these be repaired or is it the death of the car? Also I
have some rust and a small hole appearing on the bulkhead?
I'm guessing it won't be structural or weldable but can I
just cut the rust out and maybe mesh and fill the hole??

Thanks,
Steve.

jagtech
Posts:51
Joined:Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:21 am

Postby jagtech » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:53 pm

I have seen many inner wings welded and one or two bulk heads repaired i would contact a bodyshop try Autocolour in wooton bassett.
Ps i live in swindon so if you require any mechanical work please feel free to contact me i am a jaguar technician

User avatar
xjr41
Posts:9
Joined:Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm
Location:SWINDON, WILTSHIRE
Contact:

Postby xjr41 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Fantastic!!
I have been trying to find a Jag specialist in Swindon for weeks.
Could you mail me your contact email and maybe numbers?
My email is steve@jaguarsport-xjr.com

Thanks,
Steve.

User avatar
robv12

Member
Posts:2080
Joined:Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am
Location:scottish borders

Postby robv12 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Steve, rusty inner wings and bulkheads are common with 40's, they are not the death of the car, but a good repair can be tricky especially to the bulkhead, I'm sure you want your car done to the best possible standard and not some of the awful 'bill the boger' to mot standard, not, repairs that I have seen here

The bulkhead rot is caused by water build up in the void under the windscreen, this is caused by the rubber 'duckbill' drain on the bottom of the wiper motor clogging up hence the water is retained and corrodes the bulkhead from within, again i've seen some horrors here, strictly speaking an mot fail, but most testers seem to miss it

User avatar
xjr41
Posts:9
Joined:Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:17 pm
Location:SWINDON, WILTSHIRE
Contact:

Postby xjr41 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Rob, we haven't spoken for a while.

Thanks for the advice, I have spoken to Alan Proctor (as recomended on here) and also Keith Parrington of xjrestorations with regards to a quote for the repairs. Keith has some nice pics on his website of rusty innerwings an bulkhead on an XJ40 that he has already done. Also I have mailed the guys in Wooton Bassett that was also recomended on here.

In case you hadn't realised, I now have 2 XJ40 XJR's sitting on my drive!! Hopefully I will be getting them both restored although I think my first one may be a bit more terminal than my new one. It hasn't been started for 4 years and has been sitting in a garden, so I imagine the underside to be fairly rotten. I need someone that knows what they are looking at to crawl underneath and assess whether it is a waste of time even trying to get it back on the road.

Oh well, the joys of owning an old Jag!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest