I have a 1987 Daimler (xj40). the fuel cap cover doesn't release when the doors are unlocked. I can unlock it manually using the override lever inside the boot.
not sure how it works. I'm supposing there is usage of a solenoid somewhere.
any ideas anyone please
fuel cap cover
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
Re: fuel cap cover
I think all of thee must have failed by now? I have not seen one working before anyhow. Maybe on a very low mileage pampered car? But basically the solenoids rust in place and seize up. I did try to open one up once, but i think it would need cutting out of its position, so i left it.
I would suggest the best compromise is remove the pin catch on the fuel flap, so it can then be easily opened from the outside.
I would suggest the best compromise is remove the pin catch on the fuel flap, so it can then be easily opened from the outside.
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
Re: fuel cap cover
ok thanks for that.
i'd love to fix mine but I have too much other to do on it at the moment.
might just do what you suggested for now and remove the pin
i'd love to fix mine but I have too much other to do on it at the moment.
might just do what you suggested for now and remove the pin
Re: fuel cap cover
WOW ! guess what. I've fixed my fuel flap !
I did spray the pin with wd40 last week but it didn't work.
I had l/h brake light fail problems and I sourced it to the rear light module. when I had a look at the module and wiring in that area I noticed a 1 amp bayonet type fuse and a 2 amp glass type inline fuse. I suspected these might have something to do with the fuel flap (done some homework on it online) I pulled both and they seemed ok but I bought new anyway as the fuse wire in the fuses is so fine I couldn't really tell if they weren't broken.
I put new fuses in this morning not expecting anything to work, walked pass the fuel flap and as an after thought pressed it and it popped up to my surprise ! tried it a few times and it kept working. fixed the brake light too.
I did spray the pin with wd40 last week but it didn't work.
I had l/h brake light fail problems and I sourced it to the rear light module. when I had a look at the module and wiring in that area I noticed a 1 amp bayonet type fuse and a 2 amp glass type inline fuse. I suspected these might have something to do with the fuel flap (done some homework on it online) I pulled both and they seemed ok but I bought new anyway as the fuse wire in the fuses is so fine I couldn't really tell if they weren't broken.
I put new fuses in this morning not expecting anything to work, walked pass the fuel flap and as an after thought pressed it and it popped up to my surprise ! tried it a few times and it kept working. fixed the brake light too.
Re: fuel cap cover
Great result, very lucky.
I have up changing the fuses as it never worked for me, and once I saw the state of the solenoids.
You are the lucky one though.
I have up changing the fuses as it never worked for me, and once I saw the state of the solenoids.
You are the lucky one though.
91 4.0 XJ6 Manual
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
92 4.0 XJR Manual
93 3.2S-4.0S Man conv
93 4.0 Sov
93 6.0 XJ81 DD6
93 6.0 XJ81 XJ12
94 4.0 XJR
96 X306 4.0 XJR
96 X300 Daimler Six LWB
97 X300 Sport 4.0 Manual
00 LR Discovery 2 TD5 ES A
03 X350 4.2 XJR
BREAKING various X300/ XJ40/ X308
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
