X308 bumpers on X300

Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag

User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London
X308 bumpers on X300

Postby eb96pfh » Sun May 30, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi

My X300 suffered in an annoying accident, light damage to front and rear after a car park incident (no details left - typical...). I suspect due to their age, my bumpers cracked rather than bent. I've got hold of a pair of excellent X308 bumpers, the rear fitted perfectly, while at the front, the wiring was completely different between the two.

I have seen several X300s with the later X308 bumpers fitted, so was wondering if anyone knew how this had been done / wired?

Many thanks

Pete :)

Straight6DOHC
Posts:25
Joined:Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm
Location:Lanarkshire

Postby Straight6DOHC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:10 pm

I've x308 bumpers on my x300. I didn't undertake the work but might be able to shed some light on things. I can tell you that my front fogs are not wired up though, however, this is not an MOT fail, so it can buy you time until you work out the wiring. My N/S indicator flashes at double speed, however, the O/S one is normal. I believe this is because a previous owner has not done the job properly. It might help if I take some pics of the two indicators wiring as I believe each side has a different set up. The x300 has two bulbs in the indicator while the x308 has one.
I've also noticed that the lenses on each side of the car are O/S lenses and I've sure one of the bulb holders isn't right.
I've my work cut out for me but at least i should be able to follow whatever has been done to the O/S indicator to help guide me.

User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London

Postby eb96pfh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi there

Thanks for the reply, any pitures would be very helpful indeed. I'm currently resorting to my schoolboy knowledge of electrical circuits and will be examining things with a multimeter this weekend to see if I can understand a bit more about this!
The fog lights seem odd to be not connected, because the indicators look to be the more difficult part to me, as there are different numbers of wires, while both he fog lights have only two wires...

cheers

Pete



User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London

Postby eb96pfh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Right...

I've engaged in ome soldering using load resistors to replace one of the bulbs each side from the X300 in the X308 single bulb model. The o/s one works fine, but the n/s one still flashes too fast, yet (and I've checked) both are wired up the same!

Really bizarre. I also get the word 'er' appear on the interior fan temp reader inside the car, and it squeaks several times when I turn the ignition on. Something's not right here... Will see what else I can find out...

User avatar
J44EAG

Moderator
Posts:6239
Joined:Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 pm
Location:Warlingham Surrey/Faversham Kent

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Ever thought of doing hair dressing instead!

It`s a lot less technical!!

Admire your pluck.

Mike



aidex300
Posts:20
Joined:Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Postby aidex300 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Just a thought, if the X300 has four indicator bulb's and the X308 has just two, then might it be that you need another resistor?

Or, another idea, wire up the X300 units, and zip tie them up behind the bumper, and take a feed from those to the X308 units?

Must admit, auto elec's leave me cold! :oops:

Straight6DOHC
Posts:25
Joined:Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm
Location:Lanarkshire

Postby Straight6DOHC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:40 pm

Right...

The o/s one works fine, but the n/s one still flashes too fast, yet (and I've checked) both are wired up the same!


Ah! That'll be what is wrong with mine then - it sounds obvious that mine's has been wired up the same as you have done, resulting in a the double speed flash on the near side.
I don't get the 'er' message though.

User avatar
eb96pfh

Member
Posts:22
Joined:Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:37 pm
Location:North London

Postby eb96pfh » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Another progress report. Stangely, when I put it all back together, it now seems to work, although it didn't when I was testing it. I simply don't understand this to be honest. However, with both sides wired the same, both indicators function properly (so far...).

There is still some error indicated on the interior panel every time I turn the ignition on, but otherwise the indicators seem ok. Will let you know if this changes!

However, as another post of mine in the general section just now explains, I drove the car round to check it all still worked and now there's a grinding / scraping noise from th back of the car going round a bend that's going to need my attention...

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and no I've never tried hairdressing, but that reminds me that I do need a haircut :D

cheers

Pete


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest