Hi. I have recently taken up use of my 1984 XJ6 as a daily driver and I am having a little challenge in keeping the bonnet fully shut down. One of the pillar catches keeps popping undone. I have managed to reduce the frequency at which it does, but would welcome any advice to achieve a more secure fitting. Thanks.
Bonnet Catch
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
I have had a similar problem on my '94 Daimler (XJ40). The problem was simply resolved by 'jiggling' the bonnet release lever and lubricating the under-bonnet catch. The problem occurs when the button at the end of the cable does not return fully to it's 'end' position.
http://www.jec-xj-forum.org.uk/xjbb2/ga ... 7-1_tn.jpg
(click to enlarge)
An alternative is to adjust the nut found within the spring located on the bonnet itself. This does, however, assume that your mechanism is the same as mine. Hope this gives you some idea of a fix.
Rodger
http://www.jec-xj-forum.org.uk/xjbb2/ga ... 7-1_tn.jpg
(click to enlarge)
An alternative is to adjust the nut found within the spring located on the bonnet itself. This does, however, assume that your mechanism is the same as mine. Hope this gives you some idea of a fix.
Rodger
-
stevedhomer
- Posts:7
- Joined:Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 pm
Thanks for your advice Rodger. I think the problem is more to do with wear and tear. I have fitted one new slider assembly which helped. The problem has reoccurred every now and again and I have menaged to adjust it out each time. It has reared its head again more aggressivley very recently and I think it is caused by worn studs in the bonnet. I am just getting hold of a couple of studs that are virtually unworn. I hope that this will make a material difference. Please wish me luck! I very much appreciate you taking the time to repond. Steve
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests