Hi Everyone,
Something in my drive-train seems to have begun juddering momentarily, as if the whole thing is suddenly encountering some resistance, then frees up again. It seems to do it more often the faster I go. I'm hoping it isn't the gearbox and, in my experience, the gearboxes are pretty tough on these cars. Also, my auto fluid, which I changed when I bought the car six months ago, is still a lovely bright pink.
I'm wondering if there is something loose in the drive-train, that maybe half pops out and then back in again. I've also noticed that the car struggles to put the power through if it kicks down into second.
I dropped it into my local garage today, as it is due it's MoT next week anyway, and asked them to check it out. If anyone has any ideas that may help them, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know. Many thanks.
Marcus.
Update (16-12-09): The garage couldn't find anything wrong with the drive-train, and couldn't get it to reproduce the fault; I can't now either. They did suggest that it may be a dodgy sensor. I believe this model has a "limp home" mode for when there is a problem, so maybe it was trying to engage that mode if the sensor is the problem? When the problem happened, it was a very cold day and had frozen the night before, which old-car electrics tend not to like.
On a very positive note, the car flew through its MoT and the tester commented that it was nice to see one so immaculate!
Apparently Juddering Drive-train in 1990 Sovereign 4.0L.
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
-
Sovereign40L
- Posts:6
- Joined:Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 pm
sorry i missed this post first time round, how is the machine behaving now??
Glad it whizzed though the MOT
The limp home will kick in if there is a fault with the box, either mechanical or electrical, but it will throw a tell tale on the dash in the top left row of warning lights, (you will see it each time you switch on, but it should extinguish the moment you start the car), this will lock the car in second and limit the revs
Sounds like your problem was not this, BUT without seeing, driving and listening to your car it will be difficult to diagnose
Glad it whizzed though the MOT
The limp home will kick in if there is a fault with the box, either mechanical or electrical, but it will throw a tell tale on the dash in the top left row of warning lights, (you will see it each time you switch on, but it should extinguish the moment you start the car), this will lock the car in second and limit the revs
Sounds like your problem was not this, BUT without seeing, driving and listening to your car it will be difficult to diagnose
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
