Hi All,
I have a Coventry reg'd ex-Jaguar Cars Car, registration M199 FVC. I was planning on putting a personalised plate on it (a "what on earth do i get myself for my 40th birthday?" present). Does anyone know if removing the current reg might detract from the cars value should I ever sell it on to an enthusiast? Or any advice on how to retain it (I understand keeping the original reg can't be guaranteed according to the DVLA)?
Any advice much appreciated.
Kind Regards
George
Number plate retention for my XJ40
Moderators:robv12, xj40_register, Popsjag
Jaguar Newbie (and driving newbie only passed my test in Oct 2010).
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
In general these days if you transfer off the original number of car to put on another plate, when you come back to take the new plate back off, the car will always come back to it's original "birth number", I have done a number of transfers on my cars and they always come back to the original number providing the original number wasn't retained by the first owner, as an example one of ny cars was NH 1 at birth, but this was retained by the first owner upon sale, and the car reregistered L***YNV upon sale, however I have had two other plates on this car in my ownership, each time I swap it comes back to the YNV reg
one of my other cars was born L276 WJR, again I have swapped plates around on this car, and again, each time, L276 WJR is reassigned to me
So all being well M199FVC will always be available to put back on your car
one of my other cars was born L276 WJR, again I have swapped plates around on this car, and again, each time, L276 WJR is reassigned to me
So all being well M199FVC will always be available to put back on your car
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
96 X300 Daimler Century EX JDHT
97 Daimler Double Six
97 XJR 300 Manual EX JDHT
55 X TYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
56 X150 XK
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
Thanks Rob, Much appreciated 
Jaguar Newbie (and driving newbie only passed my test in Oct 2010).
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
Bungle,
I agree with Rob's view that you usually get the original registration back. I've been successful on the occasions that I've done it, but it's not guaranteed and it is possible for that registration to be passed to another car by the DVLA
I think that the best way to do it is to pay to take the original registration onto retention in your name and then you know that you can put it back on the car when necessary.
Paul
I agree with Rob's view that you usually get the original registration back. I've been successful on the occasions that I've done it, but it's not guaranteed and it is possible for that registration to be passed to another car by the DVLA
I think that the best way to do it is to pay to take the original registration onto retention in your name and then you know that you can put it back on the car when necessary.
Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)
-
Brakebuster
- Posts:3145
- Joined:Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:17 pm
- Location:Gloucester UK
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
as i have sold my XJ8 , i have removed the private plate and put it on retention , as my XJS isnt ready yet.
the cost is £105 for a year, £125 for two years and £150 for three years ,
as mentioned above, its 99% that you will get the original mark back on the car
BB
the cost is £105 for a year, £125 for two years and £150 for three years ,
as mentioned above, its 99% that you will get the original mark back on the car
BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
2015 2.2TD Sportbrake in BRG and black leather
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior
old cars
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8
2004 X-Type
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
If its any comfort, I have done this a number of times and when I return the form to put my numbers on retention I enclose a letter asking for the original number to be returned to the car, and DVLA have been good enough to do this. The reason I do this is my first Jaguar a 1985 Sovereign came to me with a replaced number after having had a personalised plate removed by a previous owner so I was as wary as you are.
Regards Chris
Regards Chris
Re: Number plate retention for my XJ40
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been away with work and busy with family but I plan to get the private reg on the car in the next few weeks 
Jaguar Newbie (and driving newbie only passed my test in Oct 2010).
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 1994 4.0L
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
